Home Buying in 60073>Question Details

Cdc0107, Home Buyer in Round Lake, IL

Can I fire my attorney for not properly reviewing my sales contract?

Asked by Cdc0107, Round Lake, IL Tue Oct 30, 2012

I am a first time buyer and not familiar with sales contracts.
My attorney had me sign off on a sales contract, the sales contract included a "rider" which stated a purchase of a different address other than the property that I am looking to purchase. Upon my review of the contract I found the error and notified my attorney. My attorney's response is that it will be fix before closing. I feel very uncomfortable using this attorney because this is something he should have caught and not be the buyer.

Help the community by answering this question:


In NY you can change attorneys at any time, I'm sure you can there as well.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 31, 2012
Assuming that the seller wants to sell you the correct property, the correspondence between the attorneys becomes part of the sales contract and the transactions chain of events. The rider is an example of modifying the contract by mutual agreement. One attorney seeks the approval of the other attorney to change the sellers name or how the buyer gets recorded, adding a buyer or taking away a spouse from the transaction, or change the closing date by a week, no big deal. I have had where the PIN number was wrong on a contract and not a problem, that other PIN wasnt for sale and both sides wanted to finish the transaction. The title company will insist on the change in order to provide policy, so unless the seller doesn't want to sell to you, you should be in the clear. This not legal advice, but talk to your lawyer, review the timeline and provided you and that the seller still want the deal to happen. Good Luck!
if you like my answer thumbs up and best answer me.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 31, 2012
You certainly can let your attorney go, but the reality is that the attorney only knows what you and your realtor tell him. Your realtor is the one who made the error and your attorney is going to fix it for you, to protect your interests. That is their job. You need to trust your attorney and your realtor. If you do not, then you need to find people that you do trust, someone that earns your trust and respect.
I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer