Home Buying in Chester>Question Details

Katherine Al…, Home Buyer in East Derry, NH

Can I find a rural cottage to rent for under $900 a month in southern NH?

Asked by Katherine Alexander, East Derry, NH Sat Apr 11, 2009

I would love to find a cottage with some farm land but having just finished a midlife college degree I don't think I can qualify for a mortgage till I pay off my school loan.

I love the quiet rural life but I may have to opt to rent in the lower priced area of a city like Manchester.
ANyone have any options? Even a simple small rural property would be great.

Answers

6
Hi Ken
I am working with NHHFA VOM
I am open to most anything .
I enjoy rural life but if the city limits
have properties with a seller
willing to work with me then
I will consider any offers that
have good potential for me/.

I am finishing a second degree
at UNH durham. I will consider
most areas of NH and just commute for this last
semester.

My profile is on my website
familyservicesNH.com
therapuppy.com

thanks
kate
Hi Katherine. I concur with the others below. Most are not listed officially. I am involved with a local/ NH landlord group and I could post something there if you'd like. That's your best bet for a rental or a rent to own. Please email me exactly what you think you could afford, and also # bedrooms, size of lot, 4-5 towns that you'd like, etc. I'd be happy to try that for you.
Ken L.
Well thank you for your great ideas. Funny you mention bulletin boards as I bought colorful paper this weekend to do just that.

If you ever find a seller that will work with me for a modest priced home.......rural or city limits Please do keep me in mind..I am middle aged finishing a second college degree after having to go on disability and retraining for a new line of work. I am working with NHHFA and they can be picky so I need someone that understands their methods.
Maybe just let any brokers know I am willing to work with a seller if they are willing to make it work for the NHHFA program.

Thanks again
kate 895 4840
familyservicesNH.com
therapuppy.com
Hi Katherine,

As a social services/family services professional, you have a strong sense of where you want to live and I applaud you for that. I have sold many homes in the Raymond area and my customers were mostly choosing houses not towns based on what their family needs were and what their money would buy. Usually money goes a little farther in Raymond, so you can buy a larger/nicer/newer home there for the same money as an smaller/plainer/older home would cost in one of the more seacoast towns.

But that doesn't solve your problem. Right now you are also faced with "summer rentals" which will begin on or about Memorial Day and are always expensive. You might find a home in the Durham area when the University lets out and the students leave for the summer. That will occur in only another month. If you could stay where you are or find a roommate for the summer, you will be able to find a beach area winter rental--which will be quite inexpensive, but will only be a 8-9 month solution.

One thing I said in my earliest post is that generally rentals don't find their way into the MLS. (Some do, but most don't.) This is a function of landlords not wanting to pay a Realtor's commission. But rentals are available if you know where to look. I would try Craig's List, also University housing at UNH or other colleges, often they have a list of local landlords which they hand out free as a service to the students. (You might find exactly what you want at White Pines College in Chester) Or you could both read and put flyers up on community bulletin boards--I always had good luck with bulletin boards in laundamats.

Anyway, wish I could help some more.

Dane Hahn
Broker
603-566-5460
thank you diane. The raymond prop. is close to me but i have a toy poodle they will not allow.
I saw a amherst nh home for 99,000 on 12 acres but it is a 1972 mobile home and too old for a mortgage with NHHFA 1978 is the cut off for mobile home mort. Unless the owner would finance?

kate

ps Raymond nh is a mess. the police are like nazi if you have MA plates or just an out of towner so it seems, and the town school system is ranked last in the state, they lost their cert.\.....High drug traffic and one of the highest rates of domestic violence in the state per capita (probably related to the high alcohol abuse).
I work in social services FamilyservicesNH.com and that town is brought up as an example more often then not for its more negative aspects....
Web Reference: http://FamilyservicesNH.com
Hi Katherine,

There are not many homes available in the price range you describe--in the MLS. Certainly none that fall into the romantic notion of a cottage with some farm land. I did search Rockingham and Merrimack Counties, but only came up with one home (a few apartments/condos) which is in Raymond and can be found at the following URL:
http://www.nnerenmls.com/nne/maildoc/c002k19188.html

Good Luck,

Dane Hahn
Broker