Home Buying in Texas City>Question Details

nuts4hotwhee…, Home Buyer in Texas City, TX

Can I contact the seller's agent directly?

Asked by nuts4hotwheels, Texas City, TX Sat Dec 22, 2012

We are buying a home via FHA. We are in the final stages and we cleared the underwriter with the condition that an engineer signs off on the foundation. My buyers agent contacted the seller to request that they pay for it, but we have not received an answer. We don't know if the seller is paying for it or if the engineer has been scheduled to inspect it. My agent just keeps saying to be patient but doesn't want to ask the sellers agent if any of this has been done. I am trying to be patient but want to know that both parties are not just waiting around. Can I contact the seller's agent directly?

Answers

5
You can certainly contact the sellers agent directly but remember that you have hired your agent to represent YOUR best interests. I would explain to my agent that I am becoming frustrated and want a status update. Your agent may have a good reason for not pushing and should be able to either give you a satisfactory explanation or make the call and get the information you want.

The seller's agent does not represent your best interests and that is why it is always best to always work through your own agent. Continue to try to work thru him or her and if you aren't satisfied with the results, suggest that you contact the seller's agent and see how your agent responds to that.

If you are still unsatisfied, I would suggest that you speak directly to your agent's Broker to get the help you need before going to the seller's agent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 22, 2012
Usually the Buyer's Agent and the Seller's Agent are the key points of contact for the buyer and the seller respectively. My question to you is, "has your Buyer's Agent been responsible and capable up to this point? Have they provided you outstanding service or is this the only issue thus far?"

I would suggest contacting your agent and inquiring what they have done to see this aspect through, and find out who they have contacted. Your agent telling you, "doesn't want to ask the sellers agent if any of this has been done" is a warning sign! So make the calls to your agent, they are getting a commission from their work so make sure they are actively representing you!

If your agent doesn't provide the answers, then YES, contact the Listing Agent of the home you're buying to inquire about the engineer's foundation report

If you feel that your Buyer's Agent isn't fully representing you, then you have the right to terminate them, but there may be some issues so contact a Real Estate Attorney after reading any Buyer's Contract you may have signed.

Here's a good article: http://www.realtor.com/blogs/2012/04/03/can-i-fire-my-realto…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 22, 2012
Yes, you can. However, you would be doing an end-around on your agent. Things take time, that's just how it is sometimes. Be patient. Trust that your agent is doing his/her job.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 22, 2012
While you could it's likely to be unproductive and could possibly create some tensions between your agent, the sellers agent etc.

That said I doubt very much that your agent contacted the sellers, as this would be entirely inappropriate, they should have contacted the Sellers agent. I would suggest telling your agent that you want them to email the listing agent and blind copy you so that you can see that this was done and in the email politely but firmly demand a response in an effort to keep the transaction on track.

I also think you need to keep in mind that at this time of year it's not uncommon that people are tied up with holiday /family things and may not be immediately available to respond. However it's more than reasonable to expect your agent to get this done for you today and to receive a response no later than Wednesday. If you haven't received a response by then I would ask to speak to your agents' Broker in Charge and discuss things with them.

Good luck and I hope you have a Merry Christmas.
The reason why agents are involved in the selling and buying process is to have separate representation to watch over each other party's interest and to serve as liaison in the process.

I don't see any reason why your agent would impede the process. There could be multitude of reasons. Communication with your realtor directly is the most appropriate course of action.

Best of Luck