Homebuyer342, Home Buyer in 34236

Can I contact the person who appraised the house I am buying to find out the outcome, or are there any legal issues with doing so?

Asked by Homebuyer342, 34236 Sat Feb 13, 2010

I am in a contract to buy a house, as long as the appraised value is at least the same as the accepted offer amount. The appraiser has already been to the house, so I was wondering if I would be permitted to call the appraiser. My buyer's broker mentioned that he can't speak with the appraiser, but I would like to know if there is any legal issue with me calling.

Answers

7
Why would you contact the appraiser? Are you a licensed appraiser yourself with access to the tools they have available? Frankly, I don't see the point.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 13, 2010
Homebuyer,

As the buyer regardless of if you ordered the appraisal or the appraisal was ordered by the lender of a "distressed property" the cost of the appraisal will likely come back to you at closing. Under these circumstances, you should be able to request and access the appraisal results.

Best wishes with your purchase

The Eckler Team
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 13, 2010
That would depend on whether or not you ordered the appraisal in your name, or if a lender ordered an appraisal in their name to facilitate a mortgage. Please check with your loan officer. Regardless, the lender will provide a copy of the appraisal as part of your closing.
Your question was not clear as to whether or not a lender was involved (if they weren't then you most probably would have ordered an appraisal in your name). Also, I wasn't sure if you are the buyer since you referred to "my buyer's broker"?

Sandra Appignani Waterman
Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate
100 N. Tamiami Trail
Sarasota, Fl 34236
info@sandraappignani.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 13, 2010
Homebuyer342,

It appears that you are the seller. To the best of my knowledge, the buyer would have to grant permission for you to obtain a copy. If you are the buyer, it is likely that you paid for the appraisal and I would hope that you are given a copy.

Francesca Patrizio, ePro, SRES
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
732.606.2931
Web Reference: http://www.PatrizioRE.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 9, 2010
Not giving legal advice, but there is a common misbelief that contacting the appraiser is illegal. The law is against influencing the appraisal not speaking with the appraiser. Nothing illegal in speaking to theappraiser, just don't influence him. Either you or your agent can contact him. The question will be whether or not he will speak to you, in detail, about the appraisal. If you paid for the appraisal, you are entitled to a copy as it is your appraisal. Additionally, if you paid for it, chances are good that the appraiser will spend a bit of time speaking with you about it. It all depends on the appraiser as they are not obligated to do so.

Normally, there is a clause in the purchase contract requiring that the property "appraise". Sometimes this clause is for financing purposes, but it can be in your contract whether or not you are financing.. Check your contract.

If the property did not appraise, your agent should be reviewing the appraisal for errors. Actually, better yet, at the time of the appraisal, as an agent, I would have provided documentation to the appraser of comparable properties, I used to help you determine value for use in the negotiation. The appraiser will normally review this information during his appraisal. It can be very helpful to the appraiser.

Lastly, understand that as long as the appraisal comes in at a higher value than the contract price, the appraisal did it's job in qualifying the property for the sal price. Appraisers do not typically appraise a property for much higher than contract price. Appraisals that are much higher involve risk for the appraiser.

BRIAN A. MCGREEVY
Broker/Owner, REALTOR, MBA, GRI, RRS, ABR, AHWD
2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010 Best in Client Satisfaction
Five Star Award Winner
Sarasota Home Realty
2100 Constitution Boulevard
Sarasota, FL 34231 http://www.SarasotaHomeRealty.com
E-mail: SarasotaReal@gmail.com
Phone: (941) 544-6763
FAX: (941) 866-7588
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 9, 2010
If you or your lender ordered the appraisal and you are paying for it, then yes. It's your appraisal. Your agent should be able to get a copy of the entire appraisal for you. If' it's a short sale and the seller's bank ordered the appraisal, they are usually not willing to share their information. Hope it works out for you, it's important not to over pay in this market. Your are wise to have it appraised.

Diane Fuchs, CRS, GRI, ABR, e-PRO
Broker Associate
Michael Saunders & Company
941-266-8006
diane@dianefuchs.com

"Invest in your tomorrow, buy real estate today"
Good day to you...There is no reason why you should not be able to contact the appraser...After all, you paid for the service and if you need to see the comps used then you have the right to see the work preformed on your behalf. I suggest you contact your agent and have him make the request that you have some questions and need to speak to him or call your lending institution to obtain his contact info. Thye may be able to answer your question short of calling the appriaser.

Hope this helps!

David G. White / Realtor Associate (SFR) Short Sale & Foreclosure Resource Certified
Coldwell Banker Real Estate Inc.
6260 N Lockwood Ridge Road
Sarasota, Florida 34243
Business (941) 351-4444 / Toll Free (888) 287-6325
Home Office (941) 756-0821 / Mobile (954) 815-1646
david.white@floridamoves.com
Website: http://www.davewhiterealestate4you.com