Katie, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Can I buy a house with FHA Loan in San Francisco ?

Asked by Katie, San Francisco, CA Tue Mar 31, 2009

Answers

11
Woo,

While it's true that in a competitive situation with all else being equal a buyer with 20% down will usually beat out one doing FHA financing, we have had many offers accepted using FHA financing in San Francisco. Have you been doing this on your own?

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 14, 2011
Katie,

Michael is correct, and I agree that you want to to speak with a lender who knows these programs. But there is a caveat. It is likely going to be harder to get an offer accepted for a buyer with an FHA loan because of longer timelines to closing. In the "old days" of mulitple, non-contingent, over-ask offers, it would have been impossible, but with longer times on the market now if your offer is positioned properly you should be able to find something that works for you.

Keep in mind that if you want a condo it will have to be FHA approved or get an exception, and many HOAs are not approved and won't be. Again, your lender will be able to help with that. We recently worked with one who helped get a really tricky deal go through. If you would like that information or have any questions, contact info is below.

Besst of Luck,

Lance King/Managing Broker
415.722.5549
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 31, 2009
Katie,

Why yes of course you can buy a house in San Francisco with an FHA loan!

Point yourself in the direction of your 'favorite' bank with whom you already have a relationship. If you don't really have a 'favorite' bank then search out a good mortgage broker, I have several names I'd be happy to send you without obligation. FHA is restrictive with whom they certify, so make sure whomever you speak with is certified!

In addtion, FHA loans have substantially more complexity to them, but the reward is great when it means you can realize the goal of homeownership as a first time buyer with as little as 3.5% down.

Believe it or not, you can even buy 2 - 4 units with an FHA loan as the loan amounts step up with the addition of each unit up to 4 total. Honestly you will be surprised after talking with a lender at what YOU CAN AFFORD!

One-family Two-family Three-family Four-family
FHA Limits $729,750.00 $934,200.00 $1,129,250.00 $1,403,400.00

In some cases, FHA will allow you to count up to 95% of the income of rental property to quality. FHA is a complex program and NOT everyone is conversant in it's complexities and nuances. You definitely want to speak to a lender who knows the rules, after you are pre-approved, then you are in a position and ready to SHOP for your first home. }:-)

Mike Ackerman
Zephyr Real Estate - Noe Valley
415-695-2715
ABZ@ZephyrSF.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 31, 2009
Yes, you may but your offer won't ever get accepted. I have been looking for a house for over a year. I am qualified for the appropriate amount given the properties I'm going for. I have been passed up after bidding up in multi-offers because of my lack of 20% down. It is true that it is written that you can qualify but you won't get anything without 20 percent down..in active markets like Oakland and San Francisco.
Of course you can buy a house in San Francisco with an FHA loan.

The new limits allow you to buy a home with as little as 3.5% down on 1-4 unit properties with the following loan limits:

1 unit: 729,750
2 unit: 934,200
3 unit: 1,129,250
4 unit: 1,403,400

For 3-4 units properties, the FHA has rules which require the market rents to fully cover the debt-service on the property which do not work for most properties in our area. There are many guidelines for FHA loans that make qualifying much easier. You can use a non-occupant co-borrower (co-signer) to help you qualify for instance.

Another thing about FHA loans that is overlooked is that they are assumable. This means that the loan that you take out right now at 5.00% for example can be assumed, or taken over by a buyer when you sell the property. So if market rates are at 7.00% in five years, you can sell your property with your terms as long as the new borrower qualifies. This is a HUGE advantage to financing your property with an FHA loan in a rising interest rate environment. There are many other reasons as well.
Web Reference: http://www.fhasfbay.com
I have an fha loan and i want to buy a home,can i buy a home that was previouly bought with an fha loan?
Katie,

It's true - it is possible not only to buy a home, but also multi-unit property with an FHA loan. It's not easy and there are many stringent requirements, however IT IS POSSIBLE.

You may enjoy the story published in the NY Times 11/20/2009 about clients of mine purchasing in the hip Hayes Valley, San Francisco for as little as 3.5% down. The mortgage broker, Sue Florence of Guarantee Mortgage in SF was awesome as she helped the my clients navigate the entire F.H.A. process.

If you're interested in reading more check this link to the New York Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/20/business/20limits.html

All my best,

Michael Ackerman, CRS, e-Pro
Building Trust for Life
Zephyr Real Estate
4040 24th Street
San Francisco, CA 94114
415-307-5850
ABZ@ZephyrSF.com
http://www.ZephyrSF.com
http://www.Zephyr-RealEstate.com
Katie, yes you can. Go for it.
Katie--I would like to echo the positive comments by my colleagues on FHA loans. Clients of mine bought a house for $650,000 in Sunnyside with an FHA loan, and we had no problems at all. Initially, the seller selected another offer because the buyers had a larger down payment. We agreed to be the back-up offer, and the first offer's financing fell apart.

The buyers for my recent listing in the Outer Parkside (price was similar) also used FHA financing. There were absolutely no problems. We had two appraisals, and both passed easily. Of course, I believe there is something to be said for having two Realtors involved on both sides who ensure that the financing moves along, and who can troubleshoot if need be.

You can also buy a condo with an FHA loan, but you are limited in selection to about 22 complexes, ranging from Diamond Heights to SoMa and south SF.
Web Reference: http://insidesfre.com
Katie--My experience with FHA loans in San Francisco has been very positive. I worked with a couple last Fall who had a small down payment, and obtained an FHA loan for a home in the $650,000 range. Our offer was accepted, and the loan was processed and completed within a 45-day timeframe, with no problems. Of course, my team included a very astute mortgage broker, so she was pivotal in expediting the loan and troubleshooting any issues that arose.

There are many homes in San Francisco that are spending time sitting on the market. Sellers are looking for well-qualified buyers, and FHA loans should not be a factor if you have a sharp agent and lender working with you. I would encourage you to explore your options.

FHA loans also extend to condos, but the loans are granted on a spot approval basis. There are certain buildings which are on the approved list. But it sounds like you are interested in a house. Good luck!
Yes, absolutely! I helped 2 first time buyers within the past 6 months purchase a home in San Francisco with FHA financing & am working with more folks right now.

Of course, the selection of home is limited to those where your loan amount conforms... They bought in Outer Mission and Ingleside but many other neighborhoods like Bernal Heights, Portola, and the Sunset have options that would work.

Make sure to work with an FHA experienced Realtor and mortgage broker. Of course, I'm happy to see if I'd be the right person to help you.

Warm regards,
Danielle

Danielle Lazier, San Francisco Realtor
Zephyr Real Estate
415.731.5000 x158
danielle@sfhotlist.com

PS. Check out my blog with lots of home buyer info: http://sfhotlist.com/blog/2009/03/29/its-your-moment-first-t…