Home Buying in Brooklyn>Question Details

smajid, Home Buyer in Edison, NJ

Can I buy a house in Atlanta, GA while working in NY and move my family to GA where my kids can start schooling.?

Asked by smajid, Edison, NJ Mon Feb 25, 2013

Are there any extra costs associated with out of state buying? I will be a first time home buyer!!

Answers

4
Is your job one that you can work from GA? Or will you be staying in NY and simply relocating your family?

If your job can document that you're able to work from home and from time to time fly to NY in occasion, you should be able to finance it as your primary residence. But if your employment demands that you spend 51% or more of your time in NY, you might run into an issue and it may result in you having to purchase this home as a second home. I suggest you meet with a Loan Officer and go over all the details.

If you need someone to help you, I am always available to meet with you here in NY and help you finance in GA. Good luck!

Javier Meneses
Senior Loan Officer
STERLING NATIONAL BANK
310 Crossways Park Drive
Woodbury, NY 11797
jmeneses@snb.com
Thanks for all the replies!!! I am aware of the pre approval and also that contacting a GA broker wud be most appropriate.. One thing that still is unclear is that as I have heard from a few people that buying out of state is either too expensive(as a higher down% is req) or you have to show some months residency in that state before buying real estate. I went to Atlanta last month myself and had a look at few houses even newly constructed ones.... The prices are damn attractive as compared to NY and NJ hence thinking of moving my family there while I work here in NY till a respectable offer in GA! Well will be needing some contacts from you guys too so thanks for sharing your info and esp Lowell Sterling detailed step by step answer cleared the pic very much!
Good morningSamanmajid,

Of course you can. I know quite a few people in GA that can help you get started with the process: Available homes, mortgage, attorney, ect.

Give me a call anytime!
Cell#: 212.300-3919

Luke Constantino
REMAX NEW YORK
(212) 300-3919
lukeconstantino@gmail.com
261 4th Avenuue, Brooklyn NY 11215
Hi samanmajid
Have you started your search in Atlanta, GA yet? If you need a realtor to work with you, I can set you
up with some names as a referral and they can probably advise you better on this subject since they live and work in Georgia. Additionally, they can do all the research for you of what is available and
show you the properties of interest.
madelinepadovano@fillmore.com