Danielle, Home Buyer in 11234

Can I be present when my bank is doing the appraisal on the home I am potentially buying? Who is allowed to be there during the appraisal?

Asked by Danielle, 11234 Wed Mar 2, 2011

We are in contract. The sellers real estate agent told me that only she may be there. I feel as though I may have been lied to....

Answers

15
Rhonda Holt’s answer
Hello, the buyer and the seller can be present at the appraisal, there is no nowhere that says both parties cannot be present. Neither party can influence the appraiser because they are primarily working for the lender to ensure the value of the property coincides with the amount the buyer will be needing for the loan. The appraiser will come in and basically take photos of the exterior and interior and take measurements throughout and depending on the loan you have will also look for and report any obvious damage to the property.

So with all that said no one can stop you from attending an appraisal if you are part of the transaction. Good luck.

Rhonda Holt
Full Time Associate Broker
H.P Greenfield Real Estate
Very good question, many will agree it's not necessary to be present during the appraisal, however, i have a different opinion on that. It's a great opportunity to get another look at the property, a chance to catch something that may have been missed or get a different perspective on something.
My feeling is it's YOUR money that's paying for the service and also the property so you should be involved. Understand what your paying for and it's also a chance to possibly learn a few things along the way.
In the past, there were too many assumptions being made, and course realtors won't prefer the buyers to be on site, it's another risk they catch something that may potentially halt the deal, which means they lose their commission.
So my opinion, stay involved, too many people allowed for too many assumptions which led to this mortgage debacle we're going through. Good Luck!
Danielle - You are certainly able to attend the appraisal of a home you are about to purchase however, your attendance isn't mandatory. All the information will be presented ot you in the appraisal report which your mortage broker will receive. The appraiser (whether you are pursuing a conventional loan/FHA) is only concerned with measurements, taking photos for the bank and any glaring damage to the property.

Good Luck,

Temra
http://www.Taylorsellshomes.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 25, 2013
Good morning Danielle,

In general, no, you should not be present during the appraisal. It's a waste of your time. The appraiser will not have a conversation with you nor accept any comments or questions from you. Since you have no hope of engaging the appraiser in anyway, and since the inspection is over before you can snap your fingers, it's truly not worth your time or effort to attend the appraisal inspection.

Trevor Curran
You are paying for the appraisal and if you want to present at the inspection you should be.
Danielle,
I would suggest you only be by the inspection because that is the person you are hiring. Once the inspection - engineer is done you know what the pros and cons are. The appraisal is just the banks reassurance like the engineer is yours.
Yes you can attend with your agent, however the appraiser will not give you any information on the spot, therefore not sure it would really serve a purpose.
Danielle;
If an agent is there,it's probably to let the appraiser in the home.
It will serve no purpose to be there when the appraiser is there.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
Confer with your real estate agent HOWEVER you should be present with inspection and appraisal

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Hi, we had a appraisal on Monday April15, but don't know who is the appraiser, the listing agent sais the appraiser called her office phone so has no record. the lender said they don't know who is the appraiser also. we need to have the report before the due deligent day which is coming up soon. how could we find the appraiser to ask for the report as earlier as possible? Thanks
Flag Thu Apr 18, 2013
Yes you can! The appraisal is being paid by you ,for you There is absolutely no reason you cannot be there! Bu t the appraisal is an independent report the cannot be interfered with.
Dear Danielle:

From a legal standpoint the seller does not have to allow you to be there, nor do you have to be present. I have been a real estate agent for 18 years and after doing hundreds upon hundreds of deals I have only had a buyer present during an appraisal one time that I recall so it is extremely rare. Most buyers do not even ask and/or may be completely unaware of when the appraisal is actually being done as the appraiser usually calls up the listing agent direct to set up the appointment.

If the real estate agent told you that she is the only one who can be there, that may be due to specific instructions from the seller and/or seller's attorney. After you go to contract, the only time a seller is legally obligated to allow as the buyer back into the house would be for the final "walk through" which typically would take place within 48 hours before the closing once it is set up. Any other time the seller does not have to let you in unless your attorney specifically added verbaige into the contract allowing you to do so, which also is rare (and if it wasn't discussed with your attorney in advance will not be in the contract).

If you still feel a need to be there I think you should speak to your attorney and express your desire to be present for the appraisal and he or she will contact the buyers attorney and try to set that up for you. Your attorney may very well tell you that it is not necessary. My recommendation would be to just not worry about it and let them do it without you. Just my opinion. If I can be of further assistance please let me know. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
Don't waist your time. The appraiser will not talk to you. If he/she will you won't get any usefull information.
Better off to be present at engeeners home inspection.
Web Reference: http://www.bankafc.com
It is fine for you to be there if you wish. The appraiser is there to measure rooms and the size of the house, take pictures and make a few notations. Theri primary work is the Comps/paperwork they must do for their report to the Bank. No answers will be given to you that day so it is not imperative for you to attend(quite honestly most would say it was a waste of time(15-30 minites)
Hi Danielle, Yes you can be present with your Realtor. Most Buyer's are not present however since you don't really talk to the appraiser he/she does her inspection and then leaves. Once back at the office they will run the numbers and finish their research.

All the best
Dave & Lisa
Web Reference: http://www.urhomerealty.net
Hello Danielle,
It is typical for the sellers, seller's agent, or buyer's agent to be present when the appraiser is touring the property. It is okay for you not to be present as the appraiser is just taking notes about the property and has not completed his evaluation on the home as of yet so he has nothing to say about the value at this time. The sellers or agents are there only to allow him entry.
Your lender will receive the appraiser's report once it is completed and tell you what the appraised value is.
Hope that helps clarify.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty