Home Buying in West New York>Question Details

Bluesky, Home Buyer in Hoboken, NJ

Can I appeal property tax in West New York?

Asked by Bluesky, Hoboken, NJ Thu Sep 20, 2012

I going to make an offer on a townhouse in West New York. A property I am interested in has 20% higher property tax than all the other comparables - exactly same square footage and layout. Can I appeal tax after the purchase?

Help the community by answering this question:


Yes, provided the property is not currently covered under one of the PILOT programs. If it is, it is unlikely that you can appeal those taxes as they are already considered to be an abated amount. If you have any questions about the communities that fall under the PILO programs, please call me and I will let you know if your property is one of them.

April Hartmann
NJAR Circle of Excellence 2004-2011
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
2151 Lemoine Ave
Fort Lee, NJ 07024
201-461-5000 office
201-723-3772 mobile

Recognized by Realtor Magazine's Top 30 Under 30 for 2008 as one of the top agents in the country. http://www.realtor.org/archives/featurejune08_30u30

Visit me on Facebook
2 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 5, 2012
Yes you can. You will need a good attorney.

I can steer you in the right direction.

Let Coldwell Banker bring you Home!!

Jose Martinez
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 21, 2013
Good evening Bluesky,

Yes, once you own the home you can grieve your property taxes with the local municipality. Typically tax-grievances are permitted once a year at a specific time of year. So you'll want to check with the municipality to find out what is the process. I recommend visiting the office in person.

There is no guarantee that your grievance will result in a reduction.

Trevor Curran
NMLS #40140
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 20, 2012
Of course you can. You should show strong grounds as to why you are seeking the tax appeal.
Have documents and data available to show.

Best with your home purchase!

Laquita Baez
Licensed Realtor in NJ and GA
Weichert Realtors

Dream Homes ARE Within Reach!!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 21, 2012
Of course. As long as you have the evidence and a good argument to make. There is however no guaranty that you will be successful, even if it looks good.


Amos Elroy
CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert),
SFR (Short-Sale Specialist Certified)
NAEA Member (National Association of Expert Advisers)

Residential Real Estate Investment Consultant
Lic. Realtor Associate
EXIT On The Hudson Realty
(888) 462-6573 / (888) HOB-NJRE
FAX (888) 462-6573
Office 201-437-0411

Twitter & Facebook: HobNJRE
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 20, 2012
Yes, you can. Check with township tax assessor/collector for dates. It can only be done once a year, AFAIK
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 20, 2012
tax appeals are must be filed on or before May 1st of the current year or within 45 days of mailing of assesments which were just mailed out. Goto hudsoncountytax.com for info and forms
Flag Tue Jan 28, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer