Home Buying in Islip>Question Details

MEDIC2RON, Home Seller in Islip, NY

CAN CO-OPS SET A MINIMUM SALES PRICE?

Asked by MEDIC2RON, Islip, NY Thu Sep 13, 2012

Answers

6
Yes, because extremely low sales thros off the underlting mortgage needs. The shareholders are paying it.

Chris
The woodlands set prices $20,000 above the bank assessment and negated a group of sales this past summer, leaving both sellers and buyers stranded. The sales were completed, some above the bank assessment, yet the board refused the commitments stating that the prices were "below market value". Well, I see none of them have been sold in the last 6 months. It is a shame that the boards can wield such questionable control.
Agreed, These co-op boards are setting price that often is above market value. Since they are stock certificates its amazing to me that they are allowed to get away with it. It appears that its price fixing. In addition, they are forcing people to continue to pay there maintenance fees which can result in additional thousands of dollars or even risk foreclose. I have then seen co-op boards than buyer the same unit for pennies on the dollar. Something surely needs to be done..
Flag Sun Mar 2, 2014
Yes they can. Do your research before you buy.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2012
Yes, and they can set maximum prices as well.
Yes, the broad gave you a by-law booklet or the blue book it all should be there or whom you can call.
Unfortunately some boards do have such a policy; for any necessary legal advice consult with your attorney.