Home Buying in Malibu>Question Details

Jim, Home Buyer in Malibu, CA

Buying land in Malibu/Ventura

Asked by Jim, Malibu, CA Fri Jun 15, 2012

Hi, was hoping to get some advice on buying residential land in North Malibu/South Ventura County. Assume they're under Coastal Commission authority. What kinds of questions should I be asking? What kinds of gotcha's should I be on the lookout for.

Thanks so much, I learn a lot from the answers being posted here.

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Jim - We've been selling Malibu land for a total of over 30 years. "Malibu 90265" land can be in the City of Malibu, unincorporated L. A. County, or unincorporaed Ventura County, all with different ordinances governing land development. Whether a separate visit to the CA coastal Commission is necessary depends upon which of the three Malibus you want to build in. Since you're interested in northern Malibu, including the 20% of Malibu that extends into Ventura County, it's likely that you'd be getting one-stop approvals. Since we specialize in land, we have about 30 land listings in Malibu and in Agoura south of the 101. And, we're familiar with most of the other land listings available. Pleasee contact us if you have additional questions. Best, Barbara Horton & jennifer Horton Chrisman, The Horton Chrisman Team, (310) 456-8689, c/o The Levin Group, 22611 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA 90265
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 6, 2012
Hi Jim,

My company Areté Estates, is located in Malibu and many of our agents have been doing business in the Malibu community for over 2 decades. When purchasing land you need to have an agent that is well versed in the area and the various challenges as well as benefits of that area. There are some pieces of land in the Malibu area that are out of "coastal." Plus, depending on budget, you may be able to purchase a piece of land with approved plans and permits (we actually have a listing like that ready to go). Please contact me and I can provide you additional information.

Best of luck,

Sarah Ribnick Kosasky
DRE# 01834461
Areté Estates
Web Reference: http://www.areteestates.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 15, 2012
Jim first to make sure that there is water near by or how far away and/or how deep you have to go to get it? Is there perculation? If it is about 1.5 miles as the crow flies yes you have Coastal Commission ....

If you would like more help feel free to contact me directly at

Endre Barath,Jr.
Prudential California Realty
Web Reference: http://www.endrebarath.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 15, 2012
Hi Jim, make sure you get an environmental report on the land you pursue and ask if there is a list of home building "don't's" just so you aren't buying a parcel you can't build what you want to on it.

Best of success to you!!

Tammy Hunt
Nelson Shelton & Associates
355 N. Canon Dr.
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
Lic# 01275416
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 15, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer