Dan Pivv, Home Buyer in Windsor, CT

Buying home w/ a 37yr old septic, which had a small daycare in the basement. Can I request to have a dye test in add. to ensure it is not leaking?

Asked by Dan Pivv, Windsor, CT Fri Dec 14, 2012

Answers

6
Again, yes you should have the dye test done, it is considered a fairly standard test and covered under the inspection clause, although you should have a separate septic inspection rider as part of the contract for your best protection. The cost for all inspections falls upon the buyer, but it is a small price to pay. A failing septic system is not worth the risk of skipping the testing. Good luck, Dan.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
I can't speak about soil conditions elsewhere, but here I have never heard anyone say that a properly constructed septic had a set lifetime. If the tank is metal, that could be the case. There have not been many metal septics installed in the last 40-50 years;most are concrete.

The dye test is of limited use, but go ahead and do it. If you see the dye on the surface, you will then be positive you have a problem. There could be things wrong that a dye test won't show. The best way of course is to dig up the septic and the leachfield, which would be unduly expensive and could destroy a perfectly good leachfield in the process. The owner would probably not allow that; I wouldn't. This is an expense you should bear yourself and that is the customary way it is handled. Most home inspections include a septic dye test. It would be harder for a buyer to trust someone paid by the seller to inspect anything, a bit of conflict of interest potential.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
37 years old system? The LISCENSED inspector you use will probably tell you that the septic has reached the end of its usable life. A dye test is really of limited use, mainly to see if a leaching field is saturated.
The septic passed its pump inspection, but I'm concerned about the age of the unit. Could I rightfully request the seller to conduct a dye test as well?
Yes, you should get a full inspection of the septic system
Absolutely. And you SHOULD!