Home Buying in California>Question Details

Bhaskar, Home Buyer in California

Buying home near to High voltage power lines?What will be health issue to adults , children.The yard is about 40 feet deep and they go over 45 feet?

Asked by Bhaskar, California Tue Mar 22, 2011

We are looking for property and found a house we loved it.. everything about it is what we were looking for. The only problems my realtor pointed out is, the big backyard has power lines that run over the very back of it almost after fence of this home. The yard is about 40 feet deep and they go over the land at about the 45 foot mark. I know it might make the resale price go down a little and make it take longer to sell. I know we can't completely ignore it, but if everything about the house is exactly what we want and then should we worry as much about the power lines if they don't bother us?
Are there any health risks associated with being so close to these lines? Would these cause any issues with TV, cell phone, cordless phone or wireless network reception or cause issues with DSL? If high winds or a nasty storm rip through the neighborhood and knocks a line loose, is there a decent chance the line would cause the house to catch fire if it touches the house?

Answers

7
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 22, 2011
Not sure power lines present health issues, but they do present selling issues.
Web Reference: http://www.golftobeach.com
Hi Bhaskar,

Aesthetically, it sounds like the power lines are not an issue for you so I will address your primary concerns:

"Are there any health risks associated with being so close to these lines?"

There are plenty of reports and studies on this subject. I'm not sure a conclusion to this question has been reached. I have run into this problem on more than one occasion. For an opinion I turned to a friend who is an electrical engineer who wrote the following:

"In general, the power of the EM field rolls off with the square of the distance from the source. I think that I read somewhere that 300 feet is the region of concern. However, 60 Hz is very low frequency, and I really don’t think there is much merit to the health concern. Also, if you are within a foot of a power cord in your home or office, or even a wall with power running in it, you’ll be exposed to the same field strength (you have to be close though)."

"Would these cause any issues with TV, cell phone, cordless phone or wireless network reception or cause issues with DSL?"

Great questions for both the owner and neighbors (hint, hint).

"If high winds or a nasty storm rip through the neighborhood and knocks a line loose, is there a decent chance the line would cause the house to catch fire if it touches the house?"

I suppose anything is possible; however, probability is another thing altogether. When is the last time you heard of this happening? You can always call the power company and ask when this last occurred as well.

Best, Steve
Electromagnetic fields are a concern to many people. Currently, there is controversy over exactly what, if any, damage is caused by these fields. There is some evidence to suggest that exposure to electromagnetic fields may cause cancer, hormonal changes, and changes in behavior. Other studies have found no damage.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
Hello Bhaskar,
Here is a link to the 'Health Physics Society' which specializes in radiation safety. They state that their findings are inconclusive when it comes to living near power lines. Take a look!

http://www.hps.org/hpspublications/articles/powerlines.html

Hope you find this helpful.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
I have 2 listings in Colorado with power lines behind the homes. In both cases, the sellers have done extensive research to show there are no health considerations with the power lines.

I guess we all have power lines around us - but most of them are buried. You should be able to find information on-line through google about the power lines.

It does take the right buyer for these homes. They don't sell as quickly as homes with buried power lines. We haven't had to make the price much lower than other homes in the neighborhood, but we have had to voercome that objection with more buyers.
PS. One of the homes is under contract and closes in April.
A realtor really cannot advise you as to the potential health risks of high tension lines. As for the resale of the home - you will have to sell at a reduced price to account for the power lines towering over your yard. Price will have to beat the objection so to speak.

On a personal note I would research the potential health risks to my family it it were me.

Sandy