Home Buying in 94920>Question Details

Virerus, Home Buyer in Tiburon, CA

Buying an REO directly from the bank

Asked by Virerus, Tiburon, CA Sun Jun 17, 2012

I know a property is foreclosed upon (auction sale) and is owned by Bank of America. The property is in Marin County. I get the info from foreclosure.com (paid search) and confirmed with County assessor's office.

I am prepared to make a cash offer for the property, but want to know if there is a way to buy the property from the bank (Bank of America) before it's listed on MLS and if so how to go about it.

I have heard of people doing so, do you have to know somebody from the bank or how does it work?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Secondly, if anybody could offer an advice on how to do independent title search on the property that would help as well. Or somebody would do so for a reasonable price.

Thank you for reading and your advice if you choose sharing what you know.

Help the community by answering this question:


Moe Rubinstein’s answer
I am a long time Realtor in Marin.
I am not sure how to direct you maybe another person will know. What you are asking of a Realtor is how to bypass what we do for a living and how we make our living, by selling real estate.
Our job is to get the listing, market it and close the deal. Sometimes this takes months of working with the bank. It is never easy to deal direct with the bank and my understanding is they don't like doing it either. With that said you are trying to buy the house before anyone else knows about it and I applaud you for your insite.
I wish you good luck.

You should be able to go to the county and do a title search. I am sure you can do this online as well through the county.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 17, 2012
There is no way of buying directly from the bank. You will have to wait until it pops up on the MLS as a listed property.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 18, 2012
My experience is similar to what others have written below. Banks are putting homes on the MLS in the hope of getting top dollar. If a home doesn't sell on the MLS after a significant period of time, it will then be auctioned off with a number of other properties.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 18, 2012
Hi Virerus,

I am a preferred Real Estate Owned listing agent for another large institution. As stated previously, I do not know of any way to bypass the process of the bank receiving the property back and then putting it on the market to be sold by a Real Estate broker as an REO property. They will typically list it on the Multiple Listing Service and expose it for a period of time to allow the market to determine the price a ready, willing and able buyer will pay. Also as mentioned earlier, the buying process in California is a myriad of disclosures, inspections, and legal nuances that we, as Realtors, deal with every day. Buying an REO is even more difficult as there are less disclosures and more due diligence on the buyer’s part. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or want to discuss this more.
-Greg Corvi-Coldwell Banker
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 18, 2012

Going "solo" with a real estate transaction could be inviting big problems in the future. To answer your question about buying directly from the bank....banks don't deal directly with buyers when it comes to disposing of distressed property sales. They work through the system...a system that involves real estate professionals. Your best options to obtain one of these properties are an auction sale or a foreclosure.

There's a lot more to a property sale than meets the eye, especially a distressed sale. By taking your proposed route you could be embracing a mountain of trouble that could be avoided.

My best advice....revisit your plan!

Good luck,

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 18, 2012
We just love questions like this:

We are Realtors and you are asking us to help you bypass us;

We have spent years learning our trade, and you want us to give it away.

When you go into other businesses, (that you cannot duplicate yourself), do you always start off with an insult?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 18, 2012
BOA will list the property when they are ready to sell it. You can find it on their site here is a link.
This will direct you to the listing agent of the property. This person will represent the bank. You may want to have your own Realtor® to represent you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 18, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer