Knariks, Home Buyer in 95125

Buying a townhome next to a low income apartment complex ?

Asked by Knariks, 95125 Thu Apr 26, 2012

We found a nice townhome that fits our budget in san jose. Everything so far is looking great, except that we just learnt the the apartments adjacent to our backyard are low income apartments with an income requirement of less than $54000 for two people.

Two of our balconies and our back yard face those apartments and we heard from a guy that we can sometimes see people smoking weed or hear them fighting from the balconies. There is a huge wall separating the two complexes, but there is nothing preventing them from throwing stuff into our back yard or just walking around complexes and somehow come into our backyard.

Given that everything else looking great, I am wondering if I should worry about a neighboring apartment complex or just go ahead hope for the best.

Please pitch in your opinions.

Answers

9
Many of the answers here are excellent. One site that I recommend to all of my clients is Spotcrime.com. While this is just one criteria that I suggest to clients, it often helps dispell "a singular opionion" from someone who has had a negative experience in the area.

I do strongly agree that touring the neighborhood at "all hours" is also a very important part of your research. In addition, if you can, find out the beat officer in the area or visit the police station and ask them about the frequency of calls in the neighborhood.

I can clealy state that "smoking pot" or fighting among couples is not related to "economics." There are many condo's in higher income areas where "neighbors" complain about the loud neighbors or disturbing activitiy (including barking dogs, stray cats, etc.). Again, it is very important to visit the neighborhood.

Take Care,

Joseph Weinstein
Atlantic & Pacific Real Estate (CA), Inc.
Personal Cell: 408-202-6080
FAX: 408-516-0888
CA DRE License:01422499

http://www.ILikeThisHome.Com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 26, 2012
If it matters in your mind now, it may also matter when it comes time to sell. That is with a new buyer. Check to see how long this home has been on the market. This complex behind the home will more than likely have an impact on value and the ability to enjoy the new home. Take some time in the evening and the weekend to see what the complex behind is really like.

Jim Mauldwin
Intero Real Estate
408-482-0982
DRE # 01125380 since 1991
Web Reference: http://jimmauldwin.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 26, 2012
I currently have a listing on a house in 95125 that has an apartment building right behind it. The owners haven't had any problem with people throwing anything or coming into their yard. The only thing they have experienced is that the apartments pool is close by and there can be alot of noise in the summer. They both work so weekdays isn't any problem. The fact that the building is there is a problem when you resell the property because potential Buyers have the same worries you do.now.
It has affected our price as well.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 26, 2012
I can't tell you what is important to you. The price may reflect the location. I suggest you do your due diligence. It's not like you are renting and can move if you don't like your neighbors.

Drive by at nights, weekends, and other times during the day. Talk to other neighbors and then decide what you are willing to accept.

All the best to you.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 26, 2012
I wouldn't buy a house near apartments. Too much bad stuff goes on in apartments.

I would buy a house in a normal neighborhood surrounded by other houses.

To the agent below who says San Jose is completely safe, he hasn't been paying attention to the increasing violence in San Jose. Not all areas of San Jose are safe. There are safe areas and there are nonsafe areas.

Please understand that these agents are interested in selling houses to get their commissions.
This was in the news not too long ago that over all San Jose is in top 4 safest cities in the nation. Please Google to find out for yourself. Of course if you could buy in a different location you would have, right. So live and let live.
congratulation on your purchase.
Thank you for your question:

Erica Nelson and Thomas Feng have given you excellent answers to your question.

I am concerned that you have heard from someone that some of the neighbors in the apartments are engaging in illegal activities (smoking weed). If you have neighbors engaging in illegal activity, that not only can be a threat to your own safety, but it also detracts from the desirability of your own location when it later comes time for you to sell your property.

I recommend that you try to get as much reliable information as you can about the sort of activity that is really going on in the neighborhood. Sometimes the neighbors will have their own disputes with other neighbors and one statement from one neighbor is not always accurate. However if you get similar reports from several different neighbors that is definitely cause for concern, in my opinion.

I recommend that you, or the agent who represents you. or both, go and knock on some doors in the neighborhood and tell the people that you talk to, that you are thinking about buying a home in that neighborhood and ask the neighbors about their own experience in that neighborhood. The answers that you get will give you a good idea whether or not this neighborhood is one that you want to live in.

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872

.
1. ask yourself how long you plan on living there.
2. ask yourself if your willing to deal with that for that long.
3. decide if you buy the home or search for something else.

Neighborhood is one of the things that a buyer is not able to change after purchasing vs a home which you are always able to change.

For some other things to look out for when buying a home check out my blog post http://bayareaconnect.com/07/02/2011/is-this-neighborhood-ri…

If you have any other questions or concerns give me a call at (408) 840-3852 or shoot me an email at Thomas.Feng@gmail.com
Web Reference: http://BayAreaConnect.com
Realtors are precluded from commenting about neighborhoods in this context.

I would not comment on specific neighbors anywhere!

However, the #1 value of a real property is its location. The whole amazing thing about real estate is each is unique due to its location. The #1 factor in determining your property's value when you go to sell it will be its location.

Erica