Home Buying in Brussels>Question Details

Curiousitydr…, Home Buyer in Brussels, WI

Buying a place in Hoboken, New Jersey, although I have never been there.

Asked by Curiousitydrivesthecat, Brussels, WI Mon Nov 14, 2011

I'm a European and came across this site by chance. I'm grateful for all the comments provided and, of course, questions asked too. My challenge is that I want to buy a property in Hoboken, New Jersey. I don't live or work in the US but love the country and NYC. As the prices in NYC appears to be out of the reach of ordinary salary earners, I feel Hoboken will best serve me and my family as a second (holiday) home and allow my two little children to know the US better and perhaps study and live there one day.
Now questions:
(a) I have no clues about property tax? Why pay it?
(b) How can I get away with not paying maintenance fees ( I see people call it HAO, I think)? Do small buildings (of maybe four-six flats) have them?
(c) Can I benefit from any tax breaks even though I do not live or work in the US?
(d) From US movies, news and gossips, I learnt that projects are dangerous places but also cheap. Can a foreigner qualify for one?
Many thanks.