Howemv, Home Buyer in Mill Valley, CA

Buying a house on a busy road in Mill Valley?

Asked by Howemv, Mill Valley, CA Thu Jun 3, 2010

We have an opportunity to buy a 4 bed house on East Blithedale Mill Valley for a good price - its the only way we can afford to be in the area & have that size of home but how much does the busy road affect the resale of a house? It a large flat lot, nice home, potential to expand & remodel and good schools - just the road is holding us back from pulling the trigger. Our budget is on the entry level side for the area so there's not much other choice in our range. Should we keep looking and compromise on something else? How big a factor is a busy road to home value?

Answers

8
Andy’s answer
I do not care such busy roads but If I believe later when I sell this house, I would find a buyer who does not care busy road issue, as easy as the seller found me, then I would go ahead to buy it.

Andy
It does matter which part of E Blithedale, but the bottom line is buying ANY house on ANY busy road is going to reduce your buyer pool on resale - even in a desirable neighborhood. However, in a marquis neighborhood that will have less impact because there will be others like you who are willing to make the trade off to live there.

Make sure it's priced right. If you want some help with figuring that out:

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
My first house with my husband was on E.Blithedale.
we had a 1 year old and i was working an agent.
It was what we could afford, we loved it and the noise was not
bad at all. We had off street parking and a great view of Mt. Tam.
We could walk erverywhere. It was astepping stone for us but we really loved that house and the location.
It will bother others when you go to sell. You will have to adjust the price but if it is in good condition and looking good it will always sell. I say go for it!!
Hello Howemv,
Future buyers will feel the same hesitation that you feel now, which is reflected in the price. If you ever do go to sell your home will sell for less than those on quieter street.

Kelley
Hi Howemy,
It is now June 15th so you may have already be in contract! But I live one block off of East Blithdale on Parkwood St., I also have friends who live on East Blithdale next to the church on the right as you leave town.
What I can tell you is that it really does get busy durrng certain times. mornings 7-9 am. and 2-4pm. On the weekends too during the day,starting early afternoon until 5. However, the good news is the evenings and early mornings are quiet. The town shuts down early. Also, I have gone to parties and dinners at my friends on E.Blithdale and once you are inside their home or in the backyard you don't notice it. The closer you are to Camino Alto the busier the traffic is as well. But still, I am very picky about noice and after living in town for 17 years, I have to say I would not have a problem with buying a home on East Blythdale because the traffic is not 24/7. Good luck!
Hi Howemv,
A lot of it depends on the house and where it is exactly on East Blithedale. While East Blithedale can be very busy, if you are anywhere near the Park School and Boyle Park you could be getting a great deal in a very desirable area. And because of the busy street you could be getting it for a lot less than a home just blocks away, which you seem to already know from your question. If you like the house itself, and you can walk to town, the park, school, etc. then it might be the best deal you will find. We would be happy to give you our opinion on the home itself, as we live and work in Mill Valley.
Web Reference: http://www.keyserhomes.com
How many days on the market is it at? And at the same price? Just curious if it has been sitting.

A property will sell regardless of the busy road as long as it is priced right for that situation. Do I think it will hinder a sale? Yes. But by how much is up to the market at that time. When people are strapped for cash, they will consider looking at homes that they get more for their money like you are doing now.

There is no right or wrong answer for this...its up to the market to decide at the time of the sale.
A decision only you can make based on how much you like the neighborhood and the property, getting a good deal, etc. Keep in mind that if you are purchasing at a lower price due to the main road, you can probably expect to sell at a lower price for the same reason.