Srblastoff, Home Buyer in 19147

Buying a house in Fishtown (below Girard)

Asked by Srblastoff, 19147 Mon Apr 5, 2010

My husband I were originally looking to purchase a home in the Northern Liberties. But we recently visited Fishtown and it seems like a nice area. We can certainly afford a larger home than we would in Northern Liberties. We just don't know much about the community. Is the area in Fishtown south of Girard safe? What should we be expecting once the casino opens? Parking? Property values? Crime? I know no one has a crystal ball, but we would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone that has more experience in that area.

Thanks in advance!!

Answers

6
Wikipedia reports "In recent years Fishtown has experienced moderate gentrification characterized by significant rises in housing prices and the opening of upscale art, entertainment, and dining establishments."

Values have been consistent. The average Philadelphia $350,000 house purchased in 2008 has declined in vale BUT not in Fishtown. (courtesy zillow)
I hope you have purchased your home by now. Stephanie and Christopher have given you good advice.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
If you havent already, Id give The Somers Team a call. If any agent knows that area in philadelphia its them.

ps - I do not work for that brokerage so do not have any stake by making this recommendation. Just like to support the people who know their stuff.

Sean Dawes
We love the area. And we are not just saying that because we live close by. I believe you are talking about the River Side of Fishtown. If we had not bought our condo in Northern Liberties, we would have chosen either Fishtown or the area just North of W Girard (19122) Old Kensington. Talk about more for your money... Fishtown and Old Kensington offer a lot of house for your money and you are close to many social venues. People are looking for a quality of life, a lifestyle that is convenient and affordable, as well as having an amazing community of very proactive neighbors.

We think you are looking in a great neighborhood. Good luck with your search. I am sure there will be plenty of people with their opinion of the Casino being built. We believe that with the strong neighborhood ties that Fishtown clearly has, neighbors and residents will simply not allow the Casino to create a problem. The Fishtown and Northern Liberties neighborhood associations are proactive, vocal, and most admirably "problem solvers". Who would not want to live in that kind of neighborhood?

For crime stats check out this site: http://citymaps.phila.gov/CrimeMap/StepByStep.aspx
Hello Srblastoff,

Realtors are not allowed to say whether an area is "good" or "bad." It could be construed as "steering" or "discriminating." That's not to say that there won't be Realtors who come on here and then actually answer your question by saying whether they believe the area is in fact "safe" or not.

What I tell my clients is to go to the police district and ask about crime in the area. You also need to do your own homework and drive around on different days at different times. What anyone else might consider to be "safe", you might think otherwise.

As far as property values, you should hire your own buyer agent who can then actually give you all the information with regard to values, taxes and homes. That is what a buyer agent does for you. They are on your side and provide you with all the information you will need to make you a savvy buyer. They only look out for your best interest which is why you never want to go to the listing agent as that agent was hired by the seller and they only have the seller's best interest at heart. Using the listing agent would then be called dual agency and that is not in your best interest, ever.

If you are seriously considering buying a home, my professional advice to you would be not to run out and meet any Realtor who says, "I'd be happy to show you homes in that area." That would not be in your best interest because until you actually hire your own buyer agent, NO Realtor is working for you and you will be giving up your rights by engaging in a conversation about real estate with them. Think of it as your Miranda Rights. Anything you say can and will be used against you. It's true.

I always provide a buyer counseling session to all of my buyers which provides them with all the information they will need to buy a home in the area they are interested in and much more. I always tell them to bring a note book because I will be giving them a lot of information. It's proven to be very helpful.

Feel free to check out my website http://www.reneeporsia.com. You can check out every home for sale in the area you are interested in and you can check out my blog as well as my video blog. I think you will find it helpful.

I'd love to talk with you further about your goals. Feel free to email me at reneeporsia@mac.com or call me direct at (215) 669-0589.

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
RE/MAX ACTION
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office ask for Renee
http://www.reneeporsia.com PHILADELPHIA'S NUMBER ONE SOURCE FOR ALL THINGS REAL ESTATE.
I'd be happy to discuss this with you. I am familiar with your current area (19147) and Fishtown. I'm on my way out the door, but invite your call or email directly.

Hannah Angert
William Festa Realty

hangert@williamfestarealty.com
(215) 869-9571