Captainobvvi…, Home Buyer in 02864

Buying a home with an outdoor hot tub. Worth the money?

Asked by Captainobvvious, 02864 Wed Dec 28, 2011

I put an offer in on a short sale property and had it accepted by the sellers. They want to sell their outdoor hot tub outside of closing. It is easily a $5,000 hot tub they want $1,500 for.

I am inclined to accept the offer because I have always wanted an outdoor hot tub and it is already installed and set up, is in great shape and has a great cover on it. Perfect shape.

I just wonder if it is worth the money considering they would be hard pressed to find someone else to buy it for that money through Craigslist... I would think they would have a hard time selling it.

I could buy one elsewhere but this is already set up on an enclosed deck and is ready to use... I don't know if I should play hardball or not... I think most people end up leaving these things behind or throwing them away...

Answers

10
Seems worth it but I would do your research and have a company come out to look at it and make sure it is indeed OK.
I think it would be worth it. I mean if you said that they are offering a $5,000 hot tub for $1,500 I would've have already done it. I mean if it works then I would love to have a hot tub for that price. http://amquipinc.com/parts-and-service/
Hi Captain Obvious,

If you like the hot tub and think it is a fair price, then offer slightly less than they want and see if the sellers will take your offer. Based on your thoughts, you feel the item is worth more than they are asking and would be a good value for your money. Did you have inspections done on the property? If so, was the hot tub included in those inspections - it should have been. If you do decide to purchase the hot tub outside of the closing, have you real estate agent draft a bill of sale for the item to protect your interest in that private sale. Good luck and let me know if you need any further advice.

Cheers, Al
It's a used hot tub and probably not worht $1500. Like you I tend to doubt they could find a buyer on Craigslist who would offer them that to come, take it apart and move it. I doubt I'd offer more than $500 - $1000. From my perspective it adds very little value to the home and you'll probably find you use it much less than you think you will and will grow tired of the maintenance.
Hi, I would have it tested first and keep in mind you will will have to repair and maintain it in the future. If you have always wanted a hot tub and don't mind the up keep then go for it!

Chris
I'd say make sure it works before you commit, as u said... it would cost 5k for a new one.. they want 1500. sounds like a great deal. Make sure it works and offer 1250 if it does... they'll take it.
That's what I figured.

It is there, it is wired and all set... When i looked at the house I didn't think I would buy it but I checked it out briefly and the water was piping hot and it was in immaculate shape with what looked like an expensive cover.

If I bought on on Craigslist I would need to haul it over, remove the privacy fencing from around the deck, have it installed... What a pain...

It has always been my dream to buy a house and relax in my hot tub in the middle of winter while its snowing... I think its worth the money but I just wanted some second opinions before I jumped in.

I am also buying their immaculate $3,000 pool table for $1,000... Its going to be quite the house for gatherings and entertaining.
Captain,
You probably won't find one that cheap or convenient anywhere else. I paid $300 just to have one moved, add that and any other hook up costs on top of what you'll pay just for the tub and then hope it doesn't get damaged in the move.
The sellers of a short sale are usually in serious financial hardship, so rather than haggle further, realize you are getting a pretty good deal and they are being helped. Just make sure it's in good working order and wired properly. Enjoy.
On The Price is Right, the new Hot Tubs are going for $6500 to $10,000!
We had one at our last house, and with both of us having diabetes, it was a gift from heaven. We can't wait to get another. Unfortunately, we had to leave it behind.
At $1500, it is a steal: look for dual pumps.
Even if you have to put some $$ into it, it is good.

Good luck and may God bless
You answered your own question it is already set up and installed with enclosed deck why not spend 1,500 as opposed to 5,000 plus installation and deck I would just leave it and pay the 1500.00 if you have it to spend, you could wait to see if they sell it on craig list but if they do you may regret it yes they may leave it behind but I wouldn't chance it plus just the deck is probably worth the money.