Rachel, Renter in Annapolis, MD

Buying a home with No room for new drainage field for septic system then what are my options if it fails?

Asked by Rachel, Annapolis, MD Tue Jul 23, 2013

Answers

5
A perc test is only going to tell you if the water on the property drains. You have a septic already, so you know it will, unless you are having the perc test done in another area where you want to move your drain field, which you said you have no room for. Also remember that perc tests are only good for a limited time, so if you have to build a new drain field in 10 years, another perc test will have to be performed. If you have room for a mound septic, it may decrease your value, but it's a better option than having no septic at all.
The current septic system is fine. The septic company said tht the drainage field had about another 10 years before we would have to move it. He was also concerned where a new drainage field would go as there is a pool on the property. They have a permit for the pool but it ws grandfathered in as now the county does not allow in ground pools in that area. The county assured me that they would not require me to fill up the pool but our only concern now is will we end up with an above ground system that will dramatically effect our property value.
Thanks for the feedbck! I contacted the health dept and he said that they could not guarantee anything and that the area would have to be assessed at the time I need a new drainage area. My fear is that in 10 years time we end up with an above ground holding tank. The sellers tell me that there are other options but ultimately it is up to the county. I was hoping there was a tank that didn't require a drinage field but it looks llike there is no such thing. We love the house but t this point we don't know if we should walk. We are asking the sellers for a perc test but not sure at this point if they will agree to it!
I take it you have spoken with a Septic company. There are options. Drain fields could be dug deeper depending on the water table....there is the holding tank option as well but expensive. I am glad you are thinking ahead about this. Many buyers do not. I would contact the local health department and maybe explore some options if the system were to fail.
Is your current septic in danger of failing? Your current drain field will have to be rebuilt or you'll have to hookup to the public sewer system, but only if that option is available. To rebuild a drain field is an EXPENSIVE repair. If you think this is going to be a problem and you can't afford to fix the septic, then I'd find way to back out of your contract. The state of Maryland will NOT let you live in a home without septic.