Home Buying in Milwaukee>Question Details

tthomas, Home Buyer in Milwaukee, WI

Buying a home that your buyer's agent has listed?

Asked by tthomas, Milwaukee, WI Fri May 31, 2013

I have been working with an agent for a couple of months, and we are going to see a property that she is a listing agent on. I know there are obvious conflicts of interest here, but he has assured me he can be neutral in the transaction. If we decide to put in an offer, I'm concerned that he will be more of a seller's advocate, but he has been an incredible agent thus far (very responsive, prompt, and has shown concern for us throughout the process). Any thoughts or tips on how to handle this?

Answers

4
It sounds like you answered your own question. I know there are agents who will disagree with me, but I have been on both sides quite a few times, and I do not see a problem with it. If your agent is following the letter of the law you should be fine.

If you are not comfortable with that, you could talk to her broker and ask that them to assign a different agent to represent you - depends on how and if you signed a buyer agency agreement but I would discuss your concerns with the agent first and go from there.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 31, 2013
Eric, I am so with you on stupid road blocker type of agents! They want to create a problem so they can solve it and be some kind of false hero to their unsuspecting clients. Those kind of agents can appropriately be referred to as idiots and transaction killers. Aaaarrrrrrggggg!!!!!!!!!
It sounds like your agent is ethical and has earned your trust, but you have concerns. Your concerns would be valid in a lot of cases, but the type of agent you describe can easily handle both sides of a transaction with integrity and without bias toward buyer or seller.
Linda's response should answer your question. Many times I have seen agents "fight" for their client so hard that the screw the deal. Our job is to get the property sold, and when the agent tries to push too hard, the deal can go sour. Is sounds like you like your agent and what he does. Stick with him!