Home Buying in Madison>Question Details

Rk, Home Buyer in Monona, WI

Buying a home near an elementary school in the Madison area, is it going to affect the resale value of this home?

Asked by Rk, Monona, WI Tue Jan 3, 2012

I am planning on purchasing a home near an elementary school in the Madison area, is the fact that this home is close to an elementary school (backyard touches the school playground) going to affect future resale value of this home?

Answers

3
Hi, Well if you are buying it then someone else will buy it down the road. How long it will take that buyer to come along is the question. The reputation of the school will affect the sale so hopefully it's a good one!

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Represesentative
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
It really depends on the buyer. If the home were a block away, the answer would be pretty easy and positive, If a buyer does not have children of that age, are they going to see it as a plus? On the other hand, if this is a real plus for your personal situation, then look at all the other factors and make your decision.
It's a little bit of a mixed bag. In general, though, I would say that living within walking distance of an elementary school is often a good thing. If the next buyer doesn't have, or doesn't like children, then the proximity could be a negative. I have personally worked with clients for whom proximity to an elementary school was a very good thing. Good luck with your purchase.

Marge Tessner
Broker Associate
Ray Kuehl & Assoc. Realty