Rrsr, Home Buyer in North Brunswick, NJ

Buying a home 400 ft away from a HT and with a utility easement running under the property backyard - do they affect value and any safety hazard?

Asked by Rrsr, North Brunswick, NJ Thu Jul 26, 2012

Answers

3
Here is my two cents ---- anything that causes you to pause will have the same effect on future buyers. There will be certain buyers that will not consider the property because of these attributes. Anything that reduces the buyer pool has a negative impact on value.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commiitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Agreed Jeanne. But to defend my statement, additional factors should be clarified. In North Brunswick wires 400' away meanse that there is most likely at least 2 additional house and usually 1 street in between the home the buyer is looking at.... also of note is that the majority of high tension wires in town run through the exclusive and high demand beautiful area of Farrington Lake. Homes in that neighborhood usually sell on the upper half of the market in town.... hence this buyer may be getting a very value priced home if it were directly behind the wires... but far removed?? no so much.... the HT wires within a few hundred feet are common to lots of that neighborhood and they still are in demand if priced well :) But if he's not comfortable so be it :) he can go 6-10% or more up in price to see no wires :)
Flag Thu Jul 26, 2012
I'm going to respectfully disagree. The HT wires will reduce the value of your home. And whether or not it is accurate that they do/don't affect one's health, it is important to realize that this is an emotional issue. You will not convince someone otherwise. Personally, I'm in the camp that says they do affect health and I've walked away from an otherwise perfect home for that reason. Some cultures may also regard it as bad luck/ bad energy. You will not convince them otherwise. Therefore, you already have a reduced buyer pool. If you are buying this home, understand that it may take longer than average for this home to sell.
Wishing you the best!
Leni
Underground utility easement in back of yard not so much as High tension wires. HT wires mainly affect value due to unsightliness as opposed to previously rumored but unfounded health concerns. But 400 feet away? very doubtful... if they are directly behind a home 100-150 then yes... but that also means the home will be/should be priced significantly less than homes not affected by that.