Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Chris, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

Buying a home at Austin

Asked by Chris, Austin, TX Tue May 13, 2014

We are a family of 4 (2 toddlers) moving to Austin in January. Both my wife and I will work at UT. We are looking for an home in the 500-600K range, recent (less than 20 years old or renovated), with 3 bedrooms. What would be the best areas to look at, that would minimize the commute to UT while still be pleasant and with good enough schools?

Answers

5
Hi Christian,

Hopefully the information you have received from these real estate agents has served you well.

I am a lender here in Texas. When that time comes, I would love an opportunity to show you some financing options. Our rates are excellent for that price range and our service is second to none.

Feel free to research my recommendations on this site and my company, First Cal Mortgage.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Vino Alonzo, Loan Officer
NMLS# 184279
First Cal Mortgage
210-685-7642
valonzo@firstcaltexas.net
Hi, Christian,

Central Austin would be a great area. It's an easy commute to UT, there are beautiful homes in your price range and great schools as well. NW Austin would also be a good area. It's a long way to January so it would be too early to start looking now, homes are selling fast. However, if you want, I can send you some listings to give you an idea what you can buy for the money and where. Contact me by email or phone.

Bonne chance,

Vivianne Dordea
Sierra Homes Realty
512-554-5997
Hello Christian,
January is an excellent time to move to Austin because the housing market moves a tad slower. Right now, good houses are selling fast and often over asking. For your price range, commute to UT, and school needs for kids, I recommend these neighborhoods, Mueller, Rosedale, Allandale, Hyde Park. These are all within short commutes to the University and have near by exemplary schools. Although these neighborhoods are older, many are remodeled or have been torn down to the studs and rebuild. I specialize in central neighborhoods. If you'd like to begin browsing neighborhoods, you can set up a search at http://www.corehomesaustin.com

Best of luck in your move,

Carrie Hiner
There are a ton of new options popping up in Austin East (they go fast though!) in that price range that would give you 3 beds and a brand new home with beautiful designs; plus you'd be super close to UT! I write about it here (http://www.mybrepartners.com/austin-east.html) and can send you more info if you'd like it. Other than that, I'd look at Hyde Park and Bryker Woods as there are a number of options with good schools and great commute to UT. Let me know if you need an advocate in your search.

David
Hi Christian. I am not from Austin but my best friend lives there with his wife and 1 yr old so. He went to UT and I know he knows the area. Also, my friend Elizabeth is a Realtor there. They would be able to help you for sure. The market there is hot so it's good to have someone in the know. Houses go quick. Shoot me an email and I can get you their info.