Home Buying in Jersey City>Question Details

Shavzz, Home Buyer in Jersey City, NJ

Buying a garden level property

Asked by Shavzz, Jersey City, NJ Mon Apr 30, 2012

We have been in the market looking for properties for primary residence, we saw one that is at the garden level, almost 4 ft underground and about 10 ft ceiling. I am not too worried about the light, as it is not bad at all, however, I did research n saw ppl having concerns about following:
1) safety
2) moisture/humidity. It's new construction, so can't be sure of how it'd turn out.
3) flooding
4) next to electric meters
5) insects/rats

I am not sure how real these concerns are, as obviously, not everyone who lives in garden level property comments online.

Please suggest what to expect from such property in long run. Is it a good investment?

Answers

2
Thanks a lot for responding. Private yard is there. I don't know about the back wall, however, there had been moisture issue which is said to be corrected in the renovation that was done very recently.
Does your garden level property have private use of the backyard? For many buyers, they are willing to take a garden level apartment in exchange for a nice backyard. Is the back wall of the property below grade as well? If it's not, it may help the unit breathe and it will help to reduce dampness in the property.