Sean, Home Buyer in Mountainside, NJ

Buying a Ranch in Mountainside/Livingston area withOUT level back yard

Asked by Sean, Mountainside, NJ Wed Oct 5, 2011

I am looking at custom ranch that has everything I need 4 bed, 3 bath, pool etc and newer construction. I am concerned about resale options in future. At this point, I have no plans of selling the house. However, I cannot predict the future. Most of the houses are either older construction before 1980 or ranch. It is very hard to find a colonial. After looking at many houses this has met my expectations. Will a ranch style house has same resale options as a colonial?

Answers

8
Hi Sean, I answered a very similar question recently - Colonials are more in demand in general, but the nice thing about a ranch is that (1) it can "become" a Colonial with renovation (unlike splits and bilevels which are tougher to transform; and, (2) it appeals to both younger AND older buyers - the later looking for single level living.

As a general rule, if you find comparable style homes in the area, you are likely in good shape - because others drawn to the area will expect that style. In terms of lay of the land, you mention that it has a pool so I imagine it is level enough to accommodate that. A pool is a positive to people who want one, not so much to those that don't . The lay of the land can be a factor. Here again, if common for the area, then less an issue.

I advise my buyers that anything that causes them pause will have a similar effect on buyers down the road.

Good luck to you in making yoru decision.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 11, 2011
This is from 2011, did you buy? Regards,
Sean,

Three things that are very important in real estate 1. location 2.location.3.location.I own property in Mountainside on Robin Hood Rd great value great community,reasonable taxes.great school rankings.New Jersey Monthly Magazine rated Mountainside #44 of the top 100 towns in New Jersey.A ranch is a desirable home and as far as the back yard there are creative things to due in landscaping to make your own little oasis. Best of Luck
Hey Sean. A simple answer to your question: Any type of home in Mountainside is desirable. It is a wonderful town. If the house has met your expectations, go for it! As far as resale is concerned, I would cross that bridge when you get to it. But just know that homes listed in Mountainside don't stay listed for long. Good luck!
I live and sell in Mountainside, so I know the area very well. I can tell you that based on my experience, there are always people looking to buy ranches, especially in Mountainside.

I agree with Jeanne that a pool is more of a subjective item and depends on whether a buyer wants it or not.

Good luck and understand that being nervous about the purchase is completely normal; however if you really feel uncomfortable, you should follow your gut feeling.

Best Wishes,
Lisette Guzman
Did you find anything? As Mountainside and Livingston are in the Blue Hills finding level land could be challenging. However, would you consider looking west into Somerset County? Regards,
You mentioned that the yard was not level. Was that another concern?

Feel free to contact me for more information. I don't make money for referrals, just my inspections.

Rafi Footerman
Mid Jersey Inspections
732-906-4100
NJ Home Inspector Lic. #076900
Hi Sean,

It sounds like you found the right home for you. I agree with Jeanne that you should expect future buyers to have the same concerns that you do. Personally, I've owned a colonial for a number of years and my wife and I are always saying that our next home will be a ranch. As we get older, and have more aches and pains,the stairs become more and more of a nusance. I wish you the best of luck with your purchase.