Home Buying in Oldsmar>Question Details

Sas, Home Buyer in Florida

Buying/Renting in Oldsmar,FL

Asked by Sas, Florida Sun Sep 28, 2008

We are moving to Oldsmar, Florida in November this year. We don't know much about the area other than the usual information one can gather from internet search. Generally speaking, we like to live close to the work and are not big fan of long commutes. We are thinking of renting first and then buying a home. Any information on a rental or a purchase property will be helpful? What are good neighbourhoods near Oldsmar,florida? We have 2 children with one just about to start school. One of the apartment buildings we have heard about is The Abbey at Forest Lakes; is it any good?

Answers

4
Hello;

I've lived in Oldsmar, specifically, in the Harbor Palms neighborhood for 22 years. Oldsmar is a very good town to live in. The City takes very good care of their residences. There are a number of parks including Canal, Sheffield, Harbor Palms, RE Olds, Veterans, and a few others which the City of Oldsmar take pride in caring for. Brighthouse and Verizon are the two biggest internet, cable and phone providers. The City of Oldsmar will handle your waste, garbage pick up, recycling and sewer. Tampa Electric will be your provider for electrical service. Don't go with Progress Energy because they charge way too much for electrical services. Oldsmar Elementary School, along with Carwise Middle and East Lake High School are very good schools. I knew some people who lived in The Abbey and, honestly, they did not like it. Their electric bill was very very high because the building is not insulated, the windows are not sealed, and the only parking is outdoor. My friends said they could hear their neighbors on top and beside them. They moved out within a year. But, if you are interested, I do have a home for rent or sale. The web site it: http://www.classifiedads.com/homes_for_sale-ad1626599.htm. Just copy and paste into your browser. Good Luck!
Dear Sas,

I have an executive 5/3/3 on the ELW North course for sale if you are interested.
Beautiful home that has everything and in move in condition. Priced to move at only $545K.

Jim
Another area to consider (close to Oldsmar) is Westchase and Countryway zips 33626 and 33635.

If you decide to rent from an individual owner (rather than in a complex) make sure to do a background check. I've seen renters have to move suddenly because the home was being foreclosed by the landlord.

There is a first time homebuyer IRS incentive of $7,500 tax free (must be repaid at $500/yr over 15 years) if you buy a property for $75k or more before July 1, 2009. I can send you the details, just call or send me an email.

You can browse all of the Realtor MLS listings with additional info and photos directly on my website.

Hope this helps.

All my best,

Alma
Alma Rose Kee, P.A.
Alma@SoldOnTampa.com
http://www.SoldOnTampa.com
813.244.9898
Web Reference: http://www.soldontampa.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 5, 2008
Hello SAS:
Regarding Oldsmar. The best neighborhood is East Lake Woodlands because of all the conservation lots (added privacy, lots of trees), a golf course and excellent resale history. Of course, it is also more expensive (built mostly in the 80s). Additional neighborhoods to consider would be the Woods of Forest Lakes (mostly 2 stories, smaller lots more 90s), Bay Arbor 1990-2000) and the Preserve of Forest Lakes. The schools have good ratings in Oldsmar and East Lake. See the county site for more info at http://www.pinellas.k12.fl.us.
I have never been in the Abbey apartmentsbut it is very close to Forest Lakes Blvd which is a busy road and it is also close to an industrial park. Depending on your budget, you can probably do better.
Hope this is helpful. Anything else you would like to know?
Sally Galanos Coldwell Banker 727-772-5415