Home Buying in Teaneck>Question Details

Kathleen.fol…, Home Buyer in Teaneck, NJ

Buyers remorse. I made a hasty purchase in 2011Should I update the kitchen and add the fence or try to sell the property without these features?

Asked by Kathleen.foley, Teaneck, NJ Tue May 7, 2013

After searching for a home for about a year and half I was very frustrated and with the school year fast approaching a bought the wrong house. The inside of the house is fine is just that the street is BUSY becasue it is close major highway and NYC bus stops. Not to mention my neighbor on 1 side is LOUD with alot of traffic in/out; police constantly going their and people sitting out side... I have small children and had to invest in an alarm system. I LOVE teaneck but bought in the wrong location. should I wait another year and do needed upgrade (kitchen and fence) or try to sell and run away from this nightmare NOW. Please any advice. I paid 275k in 2011 and put another 10k in upgrades.

Answers

5
Kathy,
understand that we agents only earn if you buy or sell. (there is an obvious conflict of interest) That said, neighbors come and go; I would approach them first about the noise level. If that doesnt work speak with municipality in the event there is a noise ordinance.(this is a last resort) Fencing properties on busy roads is almost always a good idea. They may require permits so check this also. Shop around for this and any other improvements you may consider. The best money spent is typically the lesser items like painting cleaning decluttering. Do get a market analysis. If you were other wise happy with your previous agent have them do this. They know your home and the market and will appreciate your loyalty. Whether you stay or move, knowing what you have and what your area costs to live in is good information. When you bought you may have gotten your home because of the pricing due to the conditions you now are troubled by. Feel free to email me, I do not list nor sell in your area.
Do what is best for you and your family,
Seek the advice of professionals
Contact me and I can do a free market analysis for you and let you know what your home could sell for.
I have years of experience with Kitchen and bath remodeling and will let you know if you will get your money back by doing so.
Don't put another dollar in the home. The market is only up in most of Teaneck since 2011 about 4-5%. Investing more into the home with hopes of making a huge increase in the sale won't happen. Price the home correctly and you won't have problems selling your home.

Contact me if you have any questions.
Hi Kathleen,
Feel free to cell me if you'd like me to take a look at your home. I grew up in Teaneck, am very familiar with the market & am in the area every day.
You really need someone to take a good look at all the variables, as Ryan mentioned. Should you decide to list your home for sale, be sure & hire an agent who'll describe the surroundings in a bit more of a positive light & accentuate the positives. (I'm kidding with you!!)
Brian
(201)489-3020
It is very difficult to answer your question with any certainty without knowing the home and the neighborhood. I would suggest you contact a local agent and get a market analysis done for your home. That will give you an idea of what you could get for your home in the current market. You may very well be able to sell your home and break even. Once you know your home's current value you will be able to make an educated decision on what to do. Good luck!

Ryan Gibbons
RE/MAX Real Estate Limited