Home Buying in Saint Louis>Question Details

Jenifer Garc…, Real Estate Pro in Saint Louis, MO

Buyers...I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about staged homes vs. vacant homes--do you have a preference?...

Asked by Jenifer Garcia, Saint Louis, MO Sun Jan 27, 2013

Answers

9
Miekeba Jones’ answer
Hi Jenifer, Stage when necessary. It is perfectly alright to have it vacant, while some buyers prefer it that way. If you experience difficulties then staging is a plus and creates an automatic reaction from customers. Sometimes my clients ask if they can purchase the staging furniture, because it looks so nice.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 3, 2013
Some buyers such as RC and Becky, have a better vision for the home they are looking for and prefer a blank canvas. (Or they incorrectly believe that to be the case.)

In EVERY environment where consultation, collaboration, planning and creativity is required it is OVERWHELMINGLY observable that the population, as a whole, are better critics than creators. Most when asked for 'ideas' demonstrate vast empty cranial space. However, the exact same population will be able to critique a proposed plan or idea. A leader of creativity will present sufficient examples to stimulate the broadest spectrum if thought.

That is the purpose of staging, to present the idea and the prospective buyer can then modify according to their requirements.

I have NEVER sold a home where a buyer stood in a room and questioned, "What would I do with this space?" Staging eliminates this uncertainty. The buyer knowing one purpose can easily substitute the suggest usage to that of the always popular 'larder."

RC and Becky may be unaware that this marketing fundamental does influence their purchase decisions in nearly every category. That is not the point. The point is, when it comes to being influenced by fundamental marketing principles...we are all the same.

If the house to be sold creates questions or presents challenges, staging can be the marvelous solution.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us

Scotsdale Bluffs, Dunedin Home Tour
http://youtu.be/KTuVUxNDpOQ
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 8, 2013
Having a staged home allows buyers to see the house the way the buyer may want it. Many people cannot visualize how a house can look. A home with expensive furniture and tastefully decorated will always sell better than a dated furniture house or a vacant house. Buyers visuals the niceness
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 8, 2013
If the house is empty then I am able to imagine my things in a house easier.

If they are still living there, then I would have them take at least half their items out. It's harder for me to imagine anything past clutter.

Also smells, gah. Get rid of the damn sented candles and don't febreez right before I come. If the house smells then I wont even look at it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 7, 2013
Notice all the answers so far have been provided by brokers and agents, and yet the question was directed to buyers.

I really don't think buyers care. They're looking at price, quality of the home, and neighborhood.

I would change my opinion if valid surveys showing the contrary were provided.
Staging sells homes. Do not skip this step. If you have your own furniture you may still want to invite a professional stager to add to or re-arrange and delete pieces.
Buyers judge by feeling as much as anything else and we always want a property to feel like it is loved and cared for and beautifully presented.
i would stage even the smallest home.
YES, stage...even the smallest home! Well worth the cost to show 'above the competition'.
Staged when possible - ALWAYS.