Home Buying in Winnetka>Question Details

Laurie, Home Buyer in Barrington, IL

Buyer's Agent

Asked by Laurie, Barrington, IL Sat Jul 18, 2009

Am I being too particular? I recently asked an acquaintance if she wanted to represent me in buying a home effective last week. She's shown me two homes (the first, an associate showed me) and the second was a home I found and asked if she wanted to set up a showing. We said we wanted to put an offer in yesterday at 1p and she's just getting around to it today. I feel like I'm working with a part-time rookie - she's very nice, which is why I asked her. I should have just called the listing agent direct - I'm sure she would be a little more motivated. Is this an option?

Answers

5
Your acquaintance might not be in the business full time, and if that's the case - you might just overpay on your next house. Is that ok with you? If your agent does not know the market, does not tour the opens every week, and is not working 60-80 hours at week at this job, I would go find someone who is. You can't do this job well, part-time. And that's a fact.

Get some referrals from your neighbors and interview the agents who have done great a job for those neighbors. There are common real estate interview questions every full time, in the trench agent, should be able to answer at the drop of a hat. You'll know it when you find it.

If you want a list of the right questions to ask, just get in touch =)
Web Reference: http://www.wilsonliving.com
Laurie,
My advice is to find a buyer's agent who is working in the local area where you are looking to buy. (If you have not signed up with anyone.) Check out her web site and profile to see if she has ABR (accredited buyer's agent) after her name and some experience in the area. Just call her and chat to see if it's a good fit for you. Good luck!
BonnieLarson.com
HI Laurie,

If you do not have a buyers agreement signed with your friend then you are free to use another agent to represent your best interests during the negotiations. Its best to use an agent other than the listing agent because once the listing agent represents both parties they are no longer allowed to give advice/suggestions on what to do. If you have not already written up an offer I would be happy to represent you. There is no fee for a buyers agent and it just so happens I am also a Certified Negotiation Specialist so you know you would be getting the best price on this home. I also would attend the inspection with you and if any problems are detected I will go back to the negotiation table to for you. Please let me know if you have any questions I'm happy to help = )

Kathy Diegel
Coldwell Banker
Kathy.Diegel@cbexchange.com
847-707-8907
I'm sorry to hear that you have found a not-so-attentive agent. You should always have a buyer's agent working with you to represent your best interests. Placing an offer directly through a listing agent is possible, but you have no one to guide you through the transactions and offer advice, as they are working for the seller. If you feel you are not getting the representations and assistance you should be from your current agent, then you do need to find a more thorough one. As you should have signed a buyer's agency agreement with the agent that did eventually put the offer in for you, you would need to deliver a written letter stating that you no longer wish to work with that agent/agency before moving on to another agent.
Laurie,
If you work with the listing agent, you should be given written notice of either dual agency or no agency regarding that property. This is the law! The listing agent is under contract to represent the seller not you!! You should have a written representation agreement with you friend which spells out their duties to you. If you don't have this you are free to find another agent who will rfepresent you properly.