Home Buying in Connecticut>Question Details

B, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

Buy now and upgrade later? Quick resales: West Hartford or Bloomfield?

Asked by B, Atlanta, GA Fri Dec 14, 2007

We're moving to CT and want to purchase a nice home (At least 3bd, 2ba) with nice amenities and a yard. The main issue is that we know that we will want to buy a larger house in about 5 years, so we want to buy a home now that's not too expensive and could be sold easily. We're leaning towards Bloomfield or West Hartford. Any advice about buying a home in these areas that will be easy to sell or rent?

Answers

3
Hi my name is James Macchio and I am a broker with Century 21 Access America....I am 29 yrs old and based on what you wrote looks like you are either very close to my age or planning on a life changing event in the next 5 yrs....the reason I mention this is that people my age are looking to do what you are looking to do....pick up a home in a GREAT buyers market and have a long enough time frame on a resale to make a nice chunk of money to put as a down pmt on there dream house....or I would say that you have a kid coming or maybe your kids will be old enough for school in 5 yrs....something like that will be a perfect motivation for a BIGGER BETTER house...
as far as the 2 areas that you referenced...I like both areas, but West hartford has a slight edge in my mind...WH has a very lively town center, with posh restaraunts, bars and coffee shops...definately one of my favorite towns in all of central CT...WH has since a huge jump in inventory, and also a good increase in taxes....so there is a real opportunity to pick up a nice home for a relatively good price...there are a lot of neighborhood type homes and there probably isnt a more centrally located town in the whole state...there are a million things that can influence a sale, but nothing will help a sale more then the homes LOCATION...and WH is one of the best locations in the state
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2007
Did you buy yet? What about Enfield?
I agree with James. You will get more for your money in Bloomfield but you will have a better and easier resale in West Hartford. Property values should increase in the West Hartford area. They are bulding Blue Back Square (1/2 way done) which is going to bring even more money and people to the area. West Hartford is a great place to live if you are looking for convience to everything but you don't want to feel like you live in a city. I have many friends that live in the area and we always call it a mini Boston. I would check out the town sites and if you can work with a Realtor that is familair with both areas. http://www.bloomfieldct.org/Pages/index
http://www.west-hartford.com/