Home Buying in Portland>Question Details

Snowspell, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

Buy a home with low credit score.

Asked by Snowspell, Portland, OR Wed Apr 20, 2011

This is my first home. We have 3 adults with credit score of 615-708 and a total income of about 70K per year. What is my first step?

Answers

11
Everyone has given you good direction. I will add one thought. The Portland Housing Center is a non profit in our area that works with First Time Home buyers. They educate and help you get "mortgage ready". They have one on one counseling and home buying classes to educate you about different loan products available to you and to help prepare you for the buying process. Check out their website http://www.portlandhousingcenter.org. Any other questions... give me a call.
The first step is always get pre-approved by a lender in your area. A lender will check you income and job hoistory along with a credut report to make sure all three borrowers truly qualify. After you receive a Underwritten pre-approval the next step would be finding the right property you and your family will enjoy. Remember home buying is an emotional experience so make sure you love what you put an offer on.
Adrian
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 21, 2011
Assuming you got those scores from a report pulled by a bank, mortgage broker or credit union you can take those scores and contact 3 different mortgage brokers / lenders. Those 3 lenders can all, without pulling another report, provide you with worksheets that will outline all the costs, the payment and other items that you should keep an eye on. After you get these three worksheets, choose the lender that provided you with the best service and gave you the best feel.

The more information you can provide the better so be prepared to answer questions such as:
How long have you been on your job.
How much do you have to spend (in total, not just the down payment) and where is the money coming from (savings, gift etc...).
How are each of you paid - salary, hourly, commission.
Minimum payments on credit cards, auto/student loans etc... that showed up on your credit report

If the scores you have came from a report you pulled online, those numbers may not be the right ones on which we will base your loan terms. There are a few different scoring models out there and you will need a report geared toward mortgage to ensure your quotes are correct.

Final comment I have is be sure the three of you sit down together, work out your budget and goals and then stick to them!

Good luck and call if you need more information or a quote!
Michael
Dear Snowspell,

Congratulations on your decision to purchase a new home....it is truly a great time to buy.

Most Lenders require a 640 minimum credit score for an FHA loan with minimum down payment, so the 615 score could be an issue. Do you know if that is the middle credit score or just the score from one Credit Bureau? Lenders pull a tri-merge credit report from all three credit bureaus: Experion, TransUnion, and Equifax. We then use the middle score of the three scores received. The lowest middle score among the three borrowers is the score for the loan, so it is important to determine if that is the middle score.

You do need to begin the loan process so that your Loan Officer can review your credit reports to analyze the factors that caused the low score and make sure that there are no credit issues that would prevent you from qualifying for financing (i.e., recent bankruptcy, unpaid judgments, or IRS Liens). Some debts might need to be paid or perhaps there is an error on the credit report.

Your Loan Officer will be skilled at analyzing your credit reports so that a strategy can be implemented to put you in position to qualify for a home loan. I'd be happy to help you get started.

Edie Clark, Senior Loan Officer
Ward Lending Group, LLC
503-680-5156
edieclark@msn.com
I know two mortgage sources - one bank and one mortgage broker who have special plans for low scores, and 708 is not exactly a low score. Contact me and I'd be happy to give you their information
The first step is to get pre-qualified with a mortgage lender or broker. If you do not have one already please contact me and I will be more than happy to provide you with the names and contact information for a few who have lending programs available for persons with lower credit scores.

Once you are pre-approved for a home loan it will make it much easier for you to begin the home hunting process! You may reach me at 503-421-3824 or via email at patricksmith@oregonrealty.com
Dear Home buyer
The first thing i would do is pull your free credit report from the 3 agencys and check it for bad information.
If you find any start the letter writing process to have it removed which can bring your score up by many points.
do not go to any kind of lender until you get this done, it should take about 30 to 60 days to get this done.
The credit agencys will most likley raise your credit score while this process is going on and that is when you ask a lender for a loan.Two things happen the person who put the bad claim on you has 30 days to confirm, if they do not your new credit score will stay if they reconfirm your score will drop back to what it was so try to get the new loan while you have the higher score. food for thought you may have to drop the person with the lower score off the loan. The other way is to have the property owner be the bank and carry the loan.

Ed Bailey
First step would be to contact a mortgage broker to check options and to get pre-approved so that you can start shopping homes. I've used a couple different mortgage brokers, and one that I can recommend that is very friendly and would be more than happy to answer questions and help you get to where you need to be to purchase a home, is Mark Irwin at Prospect Mortgage, 503.336.6053.

Contact me if you would like more information about neighborhoods, general questions, or to view some homes when you're ready!

-Katy Gavic
503.840.4399
Keller Williams Realty Professionals
Hi Snowspell!

Your first step should be talking to a lender. They can get you started on the pre-approval process which will let you know what price range you can afford. FHA loans (which only require 3.5% down and are very popular with first time home buyers) only require a 580 or better credit score. There are many programs and options for first-time home buyers, including 100% loans. That's why it's important to talk to a lender (or several) to get an idea of what would be the best plan for you.

If you need some suggestions of lenders to contact, I would be happy to talk to you about the ones that I have worked with and can recommend. Once you have your pre-approval, you will be ready to start looking for homes. And that's where I come in. I would love to help you, so give me a call if you have any questions. In the meantime, check out the property tracker feature on the John L. Scott website. It is super user-friendly and we have the #1 realtor website in the Pacific Northwest.

Good luck and happy home hunting!

Amanda Schueler
amandas@johnlscott.com
http://www.johnlscott.com/amandas
Contact a Mortgage broker to find out all of your options. I can recommend Vince Kingston w/ Town and Country mortgage at 971-221-8525 or Chelsea Collier w/ Alpine Mortgage at 503-997-5373

Let me know if you would like to be set up with the Looking Glass home searching map. It's one of the best interactive Real Estate neighborhood maps around and built in-house.
You can learn more about many of your favorite Portland neighborhoods at:
http://relocationtoportland.com/portland-neighborhoods

Contact me anytime for questions or viewings.
Kevin Levy
503-267-7535
M Realty
I would recommend you meet with a mortgage lender as your first step to see what your options are. Let me know if you would like some referrals.

Steve Thoele
503-680-2065