Sabrina, Home Buyer in Upper Marlboro, MD

Builder upgraded the floor, now asking us to cover part of the cost or will remove the floors. The floors cannot be reused is this reasonable?

Asked by Sabrina, Upper Marlboro, MD Mon Apr 23, 2012

We made the offer near completion -90 days to delivery, so many of the specifications were already selected. We were told that carpet was selected. It seems ridiculous to rip out the hardwood since it’s unlikely to be able to reuse it again and will incur cost to have them removed. Am I being unreasonalble.

Answers

3
Hi Sabrina,

I'm hoping you procured representation on this rather than going through the builder representative to act on your behalf.

If the floors were installed at your request you would be responsible for the cost. If you made the offer after they were installed OR the builder installed them in error then it would be their issue. But if they are offering to let you have that very expensive upgrade remain for just a portion of the cost it might be reasonable to work with them. Depending on the builder they might rip them up out of spite. Hardwood is going to be a much better investment in the long run for your homes value if it fits your lifestyle and taste.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 23, 2012
Thank you. I was thinking along the same lines with regard with the fact that we may be able to capitalize on the mistake. Will reach out to my agent as well.
Flag Tue Apr 24, 2012
Hi Sabrina:
Did your offer include hardwood floors? Have you read over the portion of your contract that pertains to what the builder includes and any "upgrades"? Did you consult with the builder representative as to what was standard in the property for the price you were willing to pay verses what was an upgrade? These are important questions and ones that normally a Realtor will ask verses a home buyer without representation. Please consult your contract and if you do not have any buyer representation then get yourself a good real estate attorney--you'll need one.

All the Best!
Natalie Dean
If you continue to have concerns, I would consult a real estate attorney. A lot of this depends on the packages the builder was offering when you first decided you wanted the home and wrote a sales offer. Were the floors apart of a package deal on the home or were hardwood floors extra? You have to know exactly what the builder was offering for your desired home. For example, the package my current client has chosen on her knew home has hardwood floors included. It is apart of a luxury package. The total luxury package adds $20,000 extra to the base price of the home. This is understood because this is what the client chose.

You have to make sure you understand exactly what the builder is offering and what the conditions are when you're buying new construction. If you didn't use the representation of a real estate agent, now might be the time to get counsel to help you maneuver through this if you are still concerned about this issue. If the builder upgraded the floor and you didn't ask for it, then I see counsel being your best option to solve this dispute if you all can't come to an agreement.
Thank you. We did add a few upgrades but the hardwood flooring was not one of them. I will however go over the specifications once again to ensure we aren't missing anything. My agent seems to be a bit out of the loop with the builder communicating directly us.
Flag Tue Apr 24, 2012