masudusa, Home Buyer in New Hyde Park, NY

Brick or Frame House which is better?

Asked by masudusa, New Hyde Park, NY Fri Feb 24, 2012

Answers

7
Yuriy Goldstein’s answer
As a Home inspector I saw both. And as you can see from the previous answers there are so many factors involved including even your preferences. Each construction type has their + and - . Just one small thing I would likme to mentioned: many homes you will call 'brick" are just brick cladding over the same frame construction.

Yuriy Goldstein
NYS Licensed Home Inspector
http://www.allrighthomeinspection.com
There is Brick and then there is Brick Veneer (brick over frame) from an insurance point usually brick homes have higher premiums than frame; all else is your personal taste and the condition of the house.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 1, 2013
I thought that Brick structures are stronger than Frame structures. And hence, the premium for Frame structures has to be higher than that of Brick structures.
Flag Sat Dec 28, 2013
Good morning masudusa,

I feel your pain! When I purchased my first home in New Hyde Park back in 1992, I too, couldn't decide which was the better option: Frame or Brick. I saw so many homes of good quality with both types of contstruction that I decided, rather than make myself cross-eyed-crazy, to focus on OTHER factors when deciding on a home.

My first priority always was monthly payment within my affordability range. But when I took "Frame OR Brick" off the decision-making spectrum, I focused instead on location and condition.

Location is personal because you may like a certain block, let's say in "The Oaks" where the streets are lined with huge Oak Trees. While someone else might be put off by the perceived hazard of those trees falling on their home during severe weather and choose instead to buy a home located further south on one of the "numbered" streets with few trees.

Condition isn't personal, so be sure you hire a great and experienced Home Inspector to help you determine the condition of a home you're interested in purchasing. Another feature of "condition" is how much time, money and effort you're willing to put into a home to improve it, whether that be cosmetically (new paint, wallpaper, etc.) or to upgrade features (new kitchen or a new heating system converted to all gas).

I hope that helps you! At the very least, you should put together your team of real estate professionals to guide you with great advice through the process of buying your home. Here's my "Primer" on HomeBuying based on my personal and professional experience of 23 years in the mortgage business:

First steps:

1. Meet with a Local Mortgage Banker to get prequalified for mortgage financing. The Mortgage Banker will review all facets of your loan request to answer your questions with regards to the types of loans and maximum loan amounts you could qualify for.

2. Get a referral to a good, local, real estate attorney. Call the attorney, retain the attorney so you have her information handy when you make an offer. Having that information at time of offer helps you demonstrate to the Seller how serious you are, and they will consider your offer with more interest.

3. Line up a Home Inspector. A good home inspector will scare the heck out of you: that's what you pay him for! But you'll concentrate on the fundamentals of the property: roof free of leaks, plumbing, heating and electrical up to code and in good working order. Again, when you make an offer and you have your Home Inspector ready to go, your offer will be considered with much more interest by a Seller because you truly have your "ducks in a row" and your preparation demonstrates your serious attitude about conducting the purchase transaction in a timely manner.

4. Find an experienced Local Realtor who works in your desired shopping area. A serious pro Realtor will refuse to show you homes until you are Prequalified for mortgage financing. Don't take offense! That Realtor doesn't want you to be disappointed and wants you to have a smooth experience as you shop for your new home.

Put together your Team of real estate professionals and shop 'til you drop!

Trevor Curran
Mobile: 516-582-9181
Office: 516-829-2900
Fax: 516-829-2944
PowerHouse Solutions, Inc.
185 Great Neck Rd, Suite 240
Great Neck NY 11021
Licensed Mortgage Banker – NYS Dept. of Financial Services
NMLS#3528

If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a "Thumbs Up" or "Best Answer." Thanks!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 19, 2013
It's really a matter of personal preferences; which do you like better...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 24, 2012
This question can be answered many ways and as will all building design, it depends on needs, wants, environment, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 24, 2012
Great question but it really is a matter of preference. There are some brick houses that aren't brick at all. Brick is better for keeping the house more energy efficient. Colder in the summer and warmer in the winter.
Below is a link to a great article on brick vs. frame housing...
It is a matter or personal opinion on which you like, and Yuriy hit the nail on the head when he said,many homes you will call 'brick" are just brick cladding over the same frame construction. " I live in Savannah, GA and even being that it is a old city, 1700's old, we do not have many true brick masonry construction. From my research and days in the fire service I have found that a vast majority were old forts and warehouses way back when. These days they are mostly a facade.

Johnathan Kenyon
Heather Murphy Real Estate Group
Keller Williams Coastal Area Partners
o. 912-356-5001
c. 912-665-2941
f. 912-356-5101
e. johnathankenyon@gmail.com