Home Buying in Boston>Question Details

Michael, Home Buyer in Ayer, MA

Bought a condo as is-now a/c and furnace not working. Can I ask for compensation?

Asked by Michael, Ayer, MA Sun Jul 21, 2013

I bought a condo and after closing, we found out that furnace and central air did not work. In the p&s, it specify we bought it as is. Can I ask for compensation or sue?

Answers

18
Then it's simply a case of bad luck. The seller has no responsibility for systems breaking down after the closing especially if the items worked at the inspection.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 21, 2013
After you get the new a/c and furnace unit consider checking into some home warranty companies. They can really come in handy for repairs such as the one you are dealing with. Some home warranty companies let you renew annually. Just a suggestion. Best of luck and hopefully everything else is going well in your new home! Congratulations!
You can sue anyone for anything, but I doubt you would win. "As is" says it all.
Thanks everyone! I did have a walk through and it was working on that day. I guess it's a really bad luck on my part. Hopefully it won't be too costly to fix.
As is... basically means just that... as is. Once you become the owner, any issues that arise are now yours.
Unfortunately sounds like there won't be recourse here since you have closed. It is worth checking in with your attorney but my professional guess is the problems are now yours.

Territory Real Estate
Massachusetts Destination for Home Buyer's
617 848 5407 ext 704
Web Reference: http://territory.com
That blows but once you close and you own your condo you are on your own.

Best Of Luck
Bad timing Michael.
After closing, you are on your own, unless there s some sort of warranty on the appliances.
Best of luck,
After you close, you cannot go after the previous owner. This is why it's imperative to be thorough with your inspection and do a final walk-through beforehand.

Sorry about your situation. Typically, if you are entering into an "as is" agreement, it's assumed the property probably has issues. I wouldn't ever recommend it unless the property is dirt cheap or you have the proper funds for repairs.

Best of luck,

Meri Galstian
Unfortunately correcting the issues will probably fall on you unless your lawyer was quite specific to protect you.

The bright side is that since both are not working, it will probably be something that can be repaired, since it is unlikely that both died at the same time.

Worst case scenario is that if you were to buy either system new, the energy savings from today's product lines are impressive. Although it may sting a bit now, you will undoubtedly see savings for many years to come.
" ...after closing we found out..."
You own it. Fortuneately you had the foresight to budget for replacement of HVAC and hotwater tank. The rest is paint and flooring.
Congrats of a successful purchase.
Stuff happens. it not the end of the world.
After a Home Inspection, as well as a walk through of your home prior to closing it seems unlikely there is any recourse.
Did you have the home inspected? Did they work at the time of inspection?

Typically in the p&s it states that at the time of closing things should be in the same condition as at the time of inspection.

I would read the p&s, hopefully your attorney protected you properly?

Did you do a walk thru prior to closing? Did they work then? If they did then your out of luck, if not you should of addressed them prior to closing.

Lastly, if you, the seller or the buyers agent had bought a Home Warranty for short money all those items you mentioned would of been covered after you closed and for the next year.
I would say NOT!! The seller(s) are not respobsible for the unit breaking down after closing.
Sory that you are having a problem.
Good Luck
Why did you agree to an "as is" contract??

the moral is.........careful what you wish for..........you now have an "as is" furnace and AC.

You say it was all working during the inspection - so - did you do a final walk thru prior to the closing???
If not......that was a big mistake.............apparently they were operable at one point, and broke afterwards........ that's.......tough luck..

Without proof of consumer fraud............what you see is what you bought.

Best wishes........
We can't tell you that you can't ask, and we can't tell you whether you can sue. Michael told you the way it is.

It was actually working during our inspection.
I'm sorry to say that "as is" means just that but I do wonder if you had a home inspection since both systems would have been discovered to be non-working during the inspection.