Home Buying in Dublin>Question Details

Enjoylife, Home Buyer in Dublin, CA

Biella @ Positano vs. Schaefer Ranch?

Asked by Enjoylife, Dublin, CA Tue May 17, 2011

After house hunting in many different areas in S Bay and E bay, we decided Dublin is the place we'd like to settle down in the upcoming 10-15 yrs. We came down to two options, buy a home at Biella, the latest subdivision built in Positano by Braddock & Logan, or at Silverado in Schaefer Ranch built by Discovery Homes. Each of these new subdivisions has their up and down sides. On top of that, it's also like a decision to make on living in east or west side of Dublin. Any inputs, suggestions are highly appreciated!

Hi, just an update - after a year long wait for the lot we wanted, we bought a to-be-built new home in Biella, can't be happier!
I bought a house in Schaefer Ranch last year and love it! The neighbors are great - most are young families with kids. I am optimistic that the schools will improve as Schaefer Ranch is built out. We have sweeping canyon views, which is very peaceful and beautiful. I commute daily to Oakland, and the traffic along 580 is not bad at all; roughly a 30 minute commute during peak rush hour. Schaefer Ranch is accessible via the Eden Canyon exit if you are traveling from the Oakland area, so it's pretty convenient in terms of circumventing the gridlock that occurs as you get closer to Pleasanton. Shopping, entertainment and the new West Dublin BART are also not too far away, as they are a 5-10 minute drive down Dublin Blvd. Another advantage that we enjoy is we never use our air conditioning. In the West Dublin hills, we enjoy a nice breeze most of the year, and the insulation in the home helps to keep the home cool. In essence, we love our home and community in Schaefer Ranch (although the sales people could be tough to deal with at times).
For schools, definitely east Dublin, for the house itself (quality and appearance), Schaefer Ranch in West. Most of short sales are happening now in the area between Ran Ramon Rd and Camp Parks which belongs to West Dublin school area. Houses are much cheaper there than East Dublin (East side of Camp Parks). The gap between academic performance between two areas is already big, will become even wider in the future since less educated people can only afford to buy a house in West side between Ran Ramon Rd and Camp Parks and more and more well educated people will choose East Dublin.

But I think, in order to compete with East side new homes, Schaefer Ranch provides more value to the houses (better quality and more upgraded). So for no risk in the future, go east. West side is so uncertain in the future since a certain type of population is now moving out of that area.
We've seen great improvement in traffic on 580 with the ongoing expansion work being done. That said commute times in and around Dublin and Pleasanton have stayed fairly constant. I think the thing you'll want to consider more is the neighborhood locating and amenities. The Dublin Ranch/Positano neighborhood does have a better walk score in that is closer to shopping and entertainment and is a short distance to downtown Pleasanton. I believe both Schaefer Ranch and Dublin Ranch/Positano both offer good potential for appreciation over the next few years. I think that Dublin Ranch/Positano appeals to the younger Gen Y buyers who are looking more at Social Locations over property amenities.

Lots of good information on this thread. Hope this all helps.
You can get to bernal ave via inside roads if the freeway is a little slower by taking Dublin blvd and Santa Rita. The speed limits are very generous on Dublin Blvd at 45mph. That being said, i haven had any issue even with the Freeways. The time differential to your Bernal company pickup point should at most be 5 min between the two options. Along with the commute you should consider which community is better to live in terms of schools, proximity to everyday needs and overall neighborhood appeal. obviously the Positano and Dublin ranch score more points in that respect.
For what its worth since I'm just a Mortgage Lender, I live right on Bernal and Valley in Walnut Hills. You should take a look. I believe there are 3 homes on the market and the school my son attends is Hearst Elementary. It is a SUPERB school....and walking distance to downtown. I do see the bus departing to Google Campus on a daily basis as well.

Happy house hunting!
Web Reference: http://www.loansquawk.com
Steve, Rohit and Brian, thank you all very much for the inputs and suggestions!
We spent 3 weekends in those two subdivisions and so far. Our concerns for Positano is the traffic, in particular, future traffic after the Fallon Village is all built out. I have to go to Bernal Ave in Pleasanton to take my company's bus daily. It seems it's easier and faster to get to Bernal from where Schaefer Ranch is. On the flip side, the elementary school and middle school where Schaefer Ranch residents go seem to have lower APIs than those for Dublin Ranch/Positano area. Any comments on the traffic, schools, and future property appreciation/hold value potentials of those two subs? Thanks!
As Rohit says it really is all about your preferences. Dublin Ranch offers great homes and with today's home prices and interest rates, there are some fantastic opportunities. Schaefer Ranch is wonderful new community that offers a more secluded community feel. They are both very good options. My suggestion would be to connect with a local agent and tour both and see which feels better to you and fits your lifestyle the best.

The Kruschke Team
For new homes, it all is a matter of preference and location. I would be more biased towards Positano as I live in Dublin Ranch and love the area. Plus there is a lot coming along the way, Fallon Gateway, the outlet malls, closer to newer restaurants and shopping etc etc. The schools are great. Again, it all boils down to personal preference in the home style and plan. Both are good, but I think east dublin has a lot more to offer.

Rohit Mohan,
Mortgage Planner
Cal Coast Financial Corp.
DRE# 01367547
NMLS# 331121
Hi There...

Dublin is a great choice. I would contact the top agent in the area to best answer your question. Tyler Moxley can help you at http://www.MoxleyTeam.com.

I just wrote an article today outlining builders and the flat sales and the opportunity for negotiating. Check it out: http://www.loansquawk.com/blog/housing-market-index-may-2011/

Feel free to call me anytime!