Home Buying in Westborough>Question Details

bgk, Other/Just Looking in Westborough, MA

Beware potential buyers in Westborough

Asked by bgk, Westborough, MA Tue Jan 4, 2011

Make sure you ask your agent about the overcrowding at Fales, just how happy everyone is with this school system, city finances, etc.

If WB doesn't increase it's commercial tax base the town is going to reach a crisis with it's residential tax rates / increases. Some think we already have. You pay an awful lot for what you get. Shrewsbury is looking better and better every year.

Answers

6
This is very interesting local news. Thanks for sharing. We have clients who look in Westborough all the time.
Web Reference: http://territory.com
Forgot to mention.
Our tax base is great and town is very healthy financially despite the recession
I absolutely could not ignore the previous answer from the real estate agent advocating the school system of Westborough over Shrewsbury.

First of all take these ranking with a grain of salt.
Compare Spring Street the top elementary school in Shrewbury to either Peaslee or Fales. It actually tests BETTER than either one of those two which are regarded as the best two elementary schools in Northborough and Westborough.

Come out for yourself and tour the high school in Shrewsbury and talk to parents who have kids there and meet the teachers and administration. The school is excellent. More kids have tested into MA academy of arts and science and more kids from the shrewsbury sytem attend Ivy league schools than either WB high or Algonquin. The tests scores between these three high schools are very comparable, though Shrewsbury tests slightly lower than either of the two, but still at a very high level of achievement.

They are all good school systems and there is no significant difference in the quality of public education between Shrewsbury, Westborough and Northborough.
I am a realtor in Westborough Since 1987.
Realty Direct Metrowest is my company in downtown where I employ 11 agents. We do alot of buisness in the Boroughs and in Shrewsbury.
TRUE- Westborough Taxes have gone up this year. Assments went down as everywhere, tax rate went up.
Schools in Westborough in 2010 rated number 18 in state. Article was in Boston magazine. Top 50 high schools in Massachusetts. Beating even Lincoln Sudbury. NothboroughSouthborough was number 28.
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2010_school_rankings/index.html
Shrewbury did not even make the list.

What I am seeing- I am gettting calls from parents who want to leave Shrewbury to have children attend school in Westborough. (7 in last 3 months)

There will always be towns that children move to to get the best education for their children. Towns known for school. (Sudbury, Acton, Wellesley, Westborough,, Westwood, Lincoln, Brookline, Newton, Dover, Weston Sharon, Holliston, Hopkinton)
Alternatives to private schools for those parents who want the very best for their children. They are difficult towns to retire in, or live on fixed income. But they are where many families come to educate their children.
Myself, I lived in Westborough while my children attended public school, and when they graduated, I moved to a neighboring town with lower taxes.

So is Westborough for everyone?? NO. But if you have school age children, and demand the best. Call me, I am happy to find you a new home in Westborough. And you do not have to be wealthy. I have a condo at 150,000, or colonials for much more.
But if you want good schools, and more house for the money, then Shrewsbury is the place to go.
Pam
I think you meant Mill Pond. Fales is actually not overcrowded and is by far the best elementary school. Mill Pond on the other hand....

Len Mead is this you. Why dont you voice your opinion in forums where it actually matters, like town meetings?
You forgot to mention the INCREASING BULLYING in the public schools in Westborough. This is a real issue and the principals are not doing enough. The problem was recently addressed in the local newspaper, although the seriousness of it was certainly glossed over for PC reasons:

http://www.wickedlocal.com/westborough/news/education/x53593…

You can see that some of the loca parents are not satisfied with the systems response:

http://www.wickedlocal.com/westborough/news/opinions/x199668…

This has led many who live in WB and pay out the nose for these schools in the form of taxes to switch to private schools