Johngreenink, Home Buyer in Allston, MA

Better - Town or Woods?

Asked by Johngreenink, Allston, MA Mon May 4, 2009

Hello - I'm a single first-time home buyer who would like to buy in the Boston area or Southern New Hampshire. Which avenue makes for sense for a first purchase: buying a condo in the city, or a house with some land further out in the woods? Both are equally appealing to me, but I notice that Boston prices have not really gone down much during the down-turn. Which avenue do you think is better to explore? I think my heart wants a place where I can plant a garden, but is it wiser to buy where I live now (Allston)?

Answers

1
Voices Member’s answer
Wisest is truly what your heart tells you. The business end of real estate can't be your only concern. You need to come home to it every day, don't make it a purchase that you are just waiting to sell to get something else.
Travel time is a real concern, so you should factor that in. One or two days in the next couple of weeks, try driving to where you might want to live when you get out of work. How is the drive time?
I say a garden today is more important than a hypothesis on future value. With (Realtors) or without (buyer) experience, it still is a long term guess on future property values. Go get a veggie garden in a place you can get to and from each day.
Best wishes,
Deb McCourt
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 4, 2009