Home Buying in Glendale>Question Details

Onthehunt, Home Buyer in Glendale, NY

Best way to get taxes re-assessed

Asked by Onthehunt, Glendale, NY Tue Aug 10, 2010

We're looking to buy a home in Queens which was a mixed use building at one time with offices on the first floor and apartments upstairs, but has since been converted to all residential. Problem is, the buildings still being taxed as mixed use to the tune of over 12 grand a year. How hard/expensive is it to get taxes re-assessed after buying, as this won't be able to be taken care of before closing? Who would I get to help, and how do I find them? Thanks.

Answers

4
You can easily do it on your own, if you wish you can hire a licensed appraiser, however an attorney may be able to solve the conversion issue in a much quicker fashion. All the best.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 10, 2010
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 10, 2010
I recommend discussing this with the local assessor as the first step in the process. He or she can tell you about the assessment review and appeal process and the deadlines for doing so. Regardless of what you see in the ads and on the Internet, the vast majority of people handle their own assessment appeals. Before you hire an appraiser or attorney learn more from your local assessor. That’s part of their job. They may not be aware of the change in the use of the property and still have it classified and assessed as an income-producing property. Most assessments can be challenged at several levels: local assessor, appeal board, then to a court or tax tribunal. When property owners do hire appraisers and attorneys it’s generally at the court and tribunal level after they have exhausted the lower levels on their own.
Thanks for the quick answer! I can't seem to find how to get the property re-assessed though. Is this the kind of thing I can do by myself fairly easily or is it better to hire a lawyer or another type of professional to do it? Thanks again.