Home Buying in Jacksboro>Question Details

Valerie, Home Buyer in Tennessee

Best way to find a house?

Asked by Valerie, Tennessee Sat Sep 13, 2008

Ive worked with two different real estate companies and both are only showing me houses that are $10,000 over what I'm wanting to spend. I know not to spend more than I can afford, and most home sellers are not going to come down $10,000 off their asking price. Would it be better for me to just start looking on my own? What is the best way to look? I had originally started looking two years ago, and this is what happened then too, I got discouraged and just quit looking. So maybe this is just what realtors do around here, I'm not sure. House shopping is making me miserable!

Answers

7
Valerie,

No one can speak accurately for another persons actions........we can only speculate.

Agents will try to get as much house for their customers as possible and thus lean in direction of higher priced homes. Additionally, agents are aware of what percentage of the asking price, homes in your area, are selling for. So if your upper limit is $100,000, they may be showing you $110,000 homes with the understanding that the sellers will more then likely accept an offer that is in your comfort range.

But if you are incomfortable with this process, stand your ground and demand to be shown property that addresses your outlined criteria.

Don't give up....keep looking

The "Eckler Team"
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 13, 2008
I would deduct $10,000 from my maximum price the next time I pick up a real estate company so I would then have a cushion in case they were doing that, not to mention the lower ceiling might find you a good deal. If you needed to, you could always raise the price if you didn't like what they were showing you.

Randy
Great advice below... Bottom line: TALK TO YOUR AGENT. Let him/her know that, while you understand the concept of showing $10K over your max price is based on negotiating down TO your price, you are not comfortable with that method. State that you only want to see homes that DO NOT list over $100K. Period. If your agent is a true professional then you shouldn't have a problem. Of course this is all assuming that you have a good working relationship with your agent and that this is just a simple matter of you making very very clear your wants.
If you feel that your agent won't listen and are not comfortable with your agent overall, then you need to look for another agent that you can connect with.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 14, 2008
Before signing with any agent, ask lots of questions, make sure you relate with them, make sure you are comfortable, make sure you tell them what you want and expect as well as dont want and expect. They should look out for your best interests. you should be able to negotiate before signing so that they get paid by the selling agent through the conbroke fee offered in MLS. Then they can search out the properties in your price range. good luck with your purchase, all agents are not the same and all not bad... you will find one
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
I have a better idea, ask a friend what agent they have had a great experience with-each agent is different, there are different levels of experience out there, I believe having over at least a years experience is vital!
Look for designations, I have received my ABR-buyer's rep course , GRI,over 90 hrs of instruction in real estate, and e-pro, and Relocation certificate from Prudential , and on and on! That is so I can be the best out there to help and bring the experience of homebuying and selling to the public in the most experienced and professional manner possible-this is a job, not a hobby!
I work mostly in the Germantown, Collierville, area, also Mid-South, that is all of Memphis and surrounding counties! So if you are ever around text,email or call!! I can also give you names of experienced agents in your area! Ask your work buddies, your friends, people at church, they are not hesitate to speak up when they have a bad experience, it will maybe save you !
Web Reference: http://www.PattyEveritt.com
Pick one agent. Tell them what you want. Tell them about your experience with the other two companies. Ask them if they can work as your buyer's agent. See, what they say.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 13, 2008
Valerie,
Since you have already attempted to use an agent in your search and have not been satisfied with their service I would suggest taking a new approach. Go to an online source for real estate like Trulia, Realtor.com or a major real estate company web site like Coldwell Banker, REMAX or one of your local brokers. Search for homes that meet your criteria and then contact the listing agent for the property. One of these listing agents may ultimately be the agent you use to help you. If not use these same web sites to search for agents specializing in your area.
Per your comment, I don't know your upper price point limit, but it is not unusual for a seller to come off their asking price by $10,000 or more. Only your agent can help you with determining a reasonable expectation for negotiating a final settlement price for the home.
Whatever you do, don't try to buy a house without an agent. Keep a positive attitude and you will be successful in finding an agent to work with you and a home that meets your needs.
Good Luck!!