Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Chad Benson, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Best realtor/RE agent in town?

Asked by Chad Benson, Chicago, IL Tue Mar 5, 2013

I know this is a subjective question - but we are looking for someone who is super proactive, extremely connected and has a pulse on the Chicago market. Especially for newer (or upcoming developments) in the Near-North, Near-West parts of the city. My wife and I are pretty easy to work with, and fairly knowledgable (bought and sold in the city) - we just need someone who can find the right property and fight for us as a representative. We're looking for large, upscale condos and townhouses.

Answers

16
Yeah, it's super subjective and this is the wrong crowd to be asking. It's much harder to assess who is going to do the best job for you on the buy side than it is on the sell side. Rather than have a parade of agents coming through your house to meet you I suggest you call a few and just talk to them on the phone about how they work with clients. But the real point of those conversations is to find out how smart they are. Let's just say that's a key attribute that is difficult to assess in the real estate world.

BTW, I don't even know what "connected" means or why it matters. Everyone has access to the same information today and the real question is how do they use it.

You might also want to find out if they share their commission with you. For instance, depending upon your price point that could be worth thousands of dollars to you at closing. Also, find out how busy they are because if they're too busy it doesn't matter how good they are.

If you would like to discuss you can call me at 312-738-0232.
Web Reference: http://LucidRealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 5, 2013
I would suggest looking at the recommendations on Trulia and going off that.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 5, 2013
I would recommend Manuel Brown of iMove. Not only does he have the years as a realtor, he is pro-active, understands his clients needs and knows the neighborhoods and developers. He grew up in Hyde Park and is located in Rogers Park and knows all the neighborhoods in between.

Manuel L. Brown, Broker
iMove Chicago
1225 W Morse Ave
Chicago, Illinois 60626

773-398-7460 [Mobile]
With all due respect, no one knows all the neighborhoods between Hyde Park and Rogers Park well enough to serve buyers in all of them.
Flag Tue Mar 19, 2013
Websites like this are absolutely the wrong place to find a real estate agent. A good number of the reviews you'll find here, on Yelp, etc. are fraudulent.

The best seller agents are often the best buyer agents.

Visit open houses, where you can meet and evaluate agents face-to-face. Ask them about the relative strengths and weaknesses of the various buildings you're interested in. If they can't speak knowledgeable about specific buildings / areas, move on to the next agent.

Settle on an agent who has 10 or more years' experience, who's affiliated with a reputable company, and who has done multiple transactions in the area you're interested in.
Do you have any statistics to back up your claims Joe? All of the reviews that I have on here are solicited from my previous clients. Seems a little ridiculous to throw claims out like that without anything to back it up.

Also, what does having a minimum of 10 years experience have to do with anything. I would rather have a rookie Michael Jordan than a veteran Kurt Rambis.
Flag Tue Mar 19, 2013
Do your research. Reviews are a great resource of what people think and their experiences good or bad. Sites like this one and others such as Zillow and Yelp are great places to start. If you needed a plumber and didnt know anyone you would probably look for the most and best reviewed one on Angie's list right? Why would you not do the same with one of the most expensive purchases in your life?!
I could say that I am the best agent in town but I'm not going to toot my own horn right now. I know 2 really good agents that I respect a great deal - Todd Fike (toddkfike@gmail.com) 773.551.8091 and Samantha Powell (Sam) (312) 371-7813. Go ahead, interview them.
There are a lot of good agents out there. I would contact a few, and go with the one you mesh best with. You can always read people reviews on many different sites. Zillow, Trulia, Yelp, Socialbios, etc. These are good resources as well. Best of luck!
Of course, I am biased, but I have to recommend my partner, Gary Lucido. He is not only one of the most intelligent people that I know, but he provides an exceptional level of customer service. We've built our business on the premise that we are able to provide a higher level of service and in addition to that, we arent trying to make a killing and provide savings to our buyers in the form of a rebate at closng.

Several of our clients have shared their thoughts about our service - and you can access the recommendations in our Trulia profile.

Visit us at: http://www.lucidrealty.com to learn more.

Sari Levy
Managing Broker
Lucid Realty
877 582 4399
Not sure I would be so keen on newer or upcoiming developements in this market when you should be able to find an existing poperty at a better price although I obviously do not know your criteria.
Not sure I would put much faith in various ratings/reviews/testimonials etc as you never really know the source. I never have asked past clients to make a 'review' etc. I have always thought it to be rather rude and unprofessional to ask such things.
Since you have bought/sold before I assume you did not think much of the agents you used. Perhaps ask family/friends/coworkers for references.
Why would asking a client for a review be rude and unprofessional? My previous clients are more than happy to sing my praises and often times ask me where they can go to review me. Seems like a real odd & unprofessional thing to say Philip
Flag Tue Mar 5, 2013
Feel free to call 773-914-5309 or email bbiederman@citypointrealty.com. I've been in Chicago real estate since 1985 & I'll answer all your questions. I have a few for you, as well.

Barbara Biederman, City Point Realty
Hi Chad,

It just so happens I believe I'm the Realtor you're looking for! Didn't mean to make that sound cheesy but I live in the Near West side (West Loop/Fulton River District) and have lived here and become an expert in the neighborhood (and do to proximity the Near North neighborhoods) for the past five years. Outside of real estate my hobby is scouring the news and real estate blogs to learn anything and everything that is going on regarding new construction, proposed construction and even newly sold listings and new restaurants. I want to tell you if you like a condo across the street from a parking lot that there are X plans for that lot and how it can impact you for the good or bad. When I work with buyers I'm extremely picky with what I send to you as options - I'm not one of those Realtors who sends you 100 options for the sake of having options...that doesn't work for me. When I set up your custom search on the MLS I only send you listings that I feel would work for your lifestyle NOW but also in the future when it comes time to re-sell or rent out your home. After all, I want you to be happy with the work that I've done so you come back to me to re-sell or rent out your home and I don't want a dud of a place to work with. It's a bit harsh sounding but when you think about it it makes sense.

The first step that I take is for us to meet at my office for a sit down meeting. At this meeting I want to go over your expectations, what you've experienced in the past and what you're really looking for in this new search. I also want to pick your brain about things that you really like or gravitate towards in a home and even what you don't like. Once that's started I would require a pre-approval in order to go out and view your favorite listings! Pretty simple.

Feel free to call or email me today and I would be happy to chat.

Jeff Stewart
REALTOR®, @properties
618 W. Fulton | Chicago, IL 60661
309-269-3499 CELL | 773-305-0480 FAX
jeffstewart@atproperties.com
Hello Chad,

It sounds like you need a team that can handle all the steps and make sure you get the best deal. I suggest you give Scott Newman a call, he is my managing Broker and we work as a team. You can reach me at 773-627-7608 or Scott at 847-894-5773. You can also visit our website so you can see that we don't only know about real estate but Chicago in general. http://www.newmanknowschicago.com
I agree with my colleagues. In addition, check out zillow's ratings/reviews as they are independent and cannot be approved by the agent. Yelp is a good source as well.
Chad,

The best listing agents are not typically the best buyer's agents. So keep that in mind as you are interviewing agents. FYI, My niche is dog friendly condos and townhomes in east Lincoln Park.

Ivan Sagel
312.515.7823
Ivan@atproperties.com
Wow, Chad. You just opened up a HUGE can of worms with this question. ;) Best to interview several agents and pick someone you get along with and trust. Hard to determine in cyberspace, I know. You will get a lot of chest-beating on here too. This should be interesting.

But don't discount the agents who may not do the huge multi-million numbers every year. There are some outstanding agents at all levels of production.

Mark
Remax Edge
I agree with BJ, look at the recommendations.