Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Certifiedcee, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Best place to stay while working in Downtown Houston,Texas , and expecting a kid.

Asked by Certifiedcee, New York, NY Thu Sep 6, 2012

Im 24 years old. I have a job in downtown houston and im currently looking for a place to call home. Im expecting a baby girl in 3 months so the place really needs to be kid friendly. I really need help.

Answers

23
Gail Levin’s answer
Downtown, Midtown, Heights and Cottage Grove are some great areas with small children. When are you planning to move and what price range are you looking at? I am assuming you want rental and not purchase - am I correct. Let me know.
The Heights are a great place. Very close to downtown and great hospitals. Nice and friendly community. Wonderful place to bring up a family. Let me know if I can help. Thx Dee 713-444-9905
Most of my work is done in the Inner Loop/Galleria areas. I would absolutely love to assist you. My girlfriend works in a high rise Downtown, and I could find you the place that best fits your lifestyle. Please, call me or visit my personal web-site at joelocator.com. Thanks and have a wonderful week.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
Web Reference: http://joelocator.com
Did you find ever find a place?

Diana Lawless GRI
Broker Associate
UTR-Texas, Realtors
17000 El Camino Real Ste 107
Houston, Tx 77058
281-814-8332 Cell
dlawlessrealty@gmail.com
http://www.har.com/DianaLawless
Congratulations on your upcoming motherhood! I would recommend Fairfield Master Planned Community in Northwest Houston . Fairfield offers new homes for sale in Cypress Texas priced from the $160,000s to over $1 million dollars on oversized homesites; it is known as one of the Houston area's best values. The community is located within the award-winning Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District with several schools located on-site. There's also a day care center inside Fairfield which is so convenient!

Fairfield is bursting with recreational amenities, and has eight lakes, six neighborhood parks and six neighborhood pools, plus numerous pocket parks and greenbelts winding through the community.

Amenities: Six Neighborhood swimming pools, parks, greenbelt trails, lakes, dog park, and the 15,000 sf, Fairfield Athletic Club
New Home Builders include: Frontier Custom Builders, Lennar, Trendmaker Homes, Highland Homes, Village Builders, Triumph Homes, Princeton Classic Homes, Westin Homes

If you would like to visit Fairfield on the weekend, you can stop by the Visitor Information Center and register. However if you'd like to be represented by a buyer's agent, then you can contact a local agent to assist you and come with you the first time you visit the New Home Builder.
I lease for a living. Please, contact me when you have an opportunity. A majority, almost all, of my work is in the general Inner Loop & Galleria. I would love to help. Have a wonderful week.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
Web Reference: http://joelocator.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
Hi there Certifiedcee, congratulations on your job and moving to Houston. When are you planning to be in Houston. There are many great areas to look at close to Downtown, I would suggest the Heights and surrounding areas, but I need to know a little more of what you are looking for. Firstly, is this going to be a Lease or a Purchase, are you looking for a single family home or townhome? There are a lot more question that I would like to ask you, but for now I think it would be better if you contacted me first, gave me some of your parameters and then we can start the process. I look forward to talking to you and giving you a tour of the different areas.
Would love to work with you to find your dream home, but I need specific information on your wants and needs among other things. Please contact me so we can start the process.

Diana Lawless GRI
Broker Associate
United Texas Realtors
281-814-8332
I specialize in the city. Check out my site here for the different parts of town and what is available:
http://www.houstoninnerlooptownhomes.com
You will love Houston. Very different from the big apple. However, it is just as well a very fun city. The Houston Height area is a skip and a hop from downtown. Very nice area and very family oriented.
You can save travel time and have more family time
Hi there! Warm welcome to Houston! It is different than New York, as I understand you are coming from, but the bright side is it is a good city for growing or nurturing a family. For one there are tons of places that are family/kid-friendly, to choose from that you can call a home.

Seeing that you are willing to commute, and that is a good thing because the neighborhoods very close to downtown are more young-professional/single-friendly homes, like high-rise, townhouse, condo types. I agree with some of the suggestions here, about Katy, Richmond & Sugarland, which are southwest of downtown & accessible via a selection of thoroughfares namely Interstate10, Highway 59 or Beltway 8. There are a lot of master-planned communities there, mostly family/kid-friendly & great school districts. Katy is my number one pick in this area.

Spring Branch is a little closer & farther up north is Cy-Fair via Highway 290. There are just so much information to squeeze in here but if you want to request a free magazine that lists communities in these areas, please don't hesitate to email your address me so I can send one over to you, without obligation.

I wish you the best in your home search & I hope to have the opportunity to help you.
Hi, I am looking to buy a house and work in downtown but I have a 5 year old son who I have to think about.Can you please send me the magazine you mentioned above? Just scoping around for now :). My email address is orozsandra@gmail.com

Thank You....
:)
Flag Sat Feb 9, 2013
Welcome to Houston! I would suggest the Heights neighborhoods, Timbergrove/Lazybrook and Oak Forest. These are single family homes with schools nearby. Please let me know if I can assist you with your home search.

Respectfully,
Jeff Cox
Better Homes and Gardens Gary Greene
Cell 713-240-2044
Off 713-961-1722
Email jeffcox@garygreene.com
What is your price range?
There are many nice areas. I would suggest you narrow it down to a few and then drive, shop and visit the libraries or sights. You will get a feel for the people that live there. Every place has a personality. Proximity to a freeway or major thoroughfare would be an advantage for your commute. You will do well to consider the schools for your own child and also for resale value. I am partial to the Sugar Land area. The Fort Bend School district has a very good reputation. Sugar Land is the site of the new minor league baseball stadium. In Sugar Land we currently have parks, shopping, hospitals, libraries,farmers market, restaurants, an ice skating rink and the Natural Science Museum. There will be a Children's Museum a theatre and the historic Imperial Sugar char house will have shops amd boutiqes with the top floor as a restaurant. The drive should be about 30-40 minutes to downtown.
I also like Richmond/Rosenberg area. It is growing fast and good schools.In Missouri City the Sienna Plantation community is very family friendly. KatyCinco Ranch area is very popular with a lot of amenities, good schools and good resale value.
Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Heather MacKinnon
RE?MAX Fine Properties
832 964-5619
heatherjoseph71@yahoo.com
Hi Certifiedcee,

About the only information not asked or provided is: Do you have family or close friends here in Houston in one of the surrounding communities mentioned. Family or friends provide a great, comforting support system. We all need help one time or another. And certainly since you're about to become a parent.

Since you expect to work downtown and all our freeway converge at that point, perhaps knowing what freeway system will be most convenient to your place of employment, could provide a starting point for an appropriate seach outward for your new residence.

In assisting individuals relocating, we provide a Gateway to our HAR.com website with searches that provide homes, in any category--single family, townhome or condo---that meet your specific needs. Getting daily updates of homes ahead of the move gives you a good overview and prevents feeling rushed or over stressed. Buying a home is an important decision; the more information, the better.

Please feel free to call or write and I welcome the opportunity to be of assistance.

Brenda Peavy, Broker

PV Properties
281-497-1290
brenda@pv-properties.com
http://www.har.com/BrendaPeavy
http://www.har.com/PVProperties
When I think of kid friendly, I think of nice parks, community pools which have baby pools and water parks, good size backyard possibly with a covered patio, and possibly a house on a cul-de-sac. If this is what you are thinking when you mention kid friendly, Cinco Ranch in Katy, Texas (a suburb west of Houston) may interest you. I've helped several newly married couples with infants move to Cinco Ranch this summer, and am presently helping another couple. Many of these young couples are first-time homebuyers and need guidance through the home purchasing process.

The Cy Fair area (northwest of downtown out Highway 290) is also a great community.

Just depends if you are willing to commute to town. Give me a call or send me an email, it would be a privilege assisting you with your move and real estate goals. Let me know when you'll be in Houston and we can go look at some areas that interest you.

Congratulations on that baby girl!

Sharon Fritsche
Principal - Real Estate Broker
Step By Step Real Estate, LLC
(713) 303-8160
Sharon@StepByStep.pro
If you are interested in staying in the southwest side, I would highly recommend these communities:

Telfair: http://www.telfair.com/
Riverstone (Sugar Land): http://www.riverstone.com/
And im willing to commute .
I want to BUY a home. I have a budget of $300,000 .
Hello, if you are willing to commute, there are quite a few options. You can consider Pearland, Sugar Land, Heights, Humble. Lot depends on your specifications regarding what you want in your home. What is your budget and are you open to town homes and condomoniums.
Persis
713-294-7747
Persis.realtor@gmail.com
Impossible to say without Budget? Rent or Buy?
A few areas popular with downtown employed folks....

Rice Military young professionals Rent $1800-$3000 Purchase $200-500k
Heights famlies and professionals Rent $2000-$3000 Purchase $400k-$1m+
Spring Branch very diverse Rent $1000-$5000....Purchase $100k-$1m+
Katy lots of famlies Rent $1300-$3000 Purchase $100k-1m+

And lots more : )
Web Reference: http://www.DaveRealty.com
Realtors search would be based on what your monthly budget would be for rent

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
Hi there!

I would recommend neartown---I specialize in the inner loop, and would love to help. Send me a message if you'd like more information. :) V