Home Buying in Miami>Question Details

George, Home Buyer in Orlando, FL

Best place to live in FL for a young professional!?

Asked by George, Orlando, FL Thu Aug 29, 2013

I moved to Orlando in April and hate it. I am in a unique position, with my job, to live anywhere I want, as long as I'm close to a major airport because I travel so much. I found Orlando to be extremely pretentious, over-crowded, and smug. I'm 25, very outgoing and had a hard time meeting people here. Plus, I do not enjoy the parks but have to endure the added cost and congestion they bring.

I want to stay in FL, so where can I go that has a decent amount of young people with a lot to do? I would like to stay away from traffic and congestion as much as possible...Am I asking too much!?

Any and all insight is appreciated, thank you!

Answers

24
George, these are some fair answers but a touch off the mark. I will comment on Miami. Coconut Grove would be a good balance for you by what you have described. This is a lively part of town with a village feel and some nightlife that is all walkable. The Grove as it is called is distinctly bio-diverse. There magnificent tree canopies lending a cool feeling to the area and some mild hills and all along the waterfront. There are several parks that also make-up the area and has the old Miami feel being part of the original settlement that became Miami. To the south there are affluent, low density areas with fantastic scenery and parks. To the north within easy distance and a rail system to boot, is Downtown and the much ballyhooed Brickell District- think pretentious, over-valued, uber-congested concrete canyons. To the west would be the venerable Coral Gables area, classy, modestly urban city beautiful, but slightly uptight. To the east? WATER, so one always enjoys a briny sea breeze. South Beach is short drive away for the epic evening.

I wrote this for fun. And I will tell you that Miami has congestion and a real cost-of-living crunch depending on what you want from it. But there is awesome fishing. And lastly, any other place, anywhere in Florida, runs a hugely distant second in the beautiful women category. Don't come here if you don't want to surround yourself with stunningly beautiful women from literally around the world. No joke about this. Good Luck!
Yes! Very poetic!
Flag Fri Aug 30, 2013
Beautifully written! You must be a great attorney!
Flag Fri Aug 30, 2013
I want to sincerely thank all of you for your responses. You left me with a lot of research last night but really opened my eyes to some great possibilities! Thanks again and have a great weekend!

My best.

George
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 30, 2013
SW Florida is a great area for professionals. It has a strong economy, good job market, 3 of Florida's top 10 beaches (Travel Magazine), 2 major baseball teams for Spring Training, Hertz is moving here, an Olympic Swim park being planned, and lots of fun without the over crowding and crime. If you like outdoor activities, this is the place to be. It still has a small town feel, yet it has the clubs, lots of restaurants, a big airport, etc. If you have any specific questions about our area, feel free to ask, and good luck! (Your description of Orlando is dead on. I have friends who moved to Orlando from here, and moved back) We are also close enough to Miami, Tampa, and Orlando so you can still access those areas easily. Check out my blog, and you'll find an article specific about Cape Coral. If you make it here, the first beer is on me.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 29, 2013
Hi Mr. George ... quite a pleasure meeting an unique blend of urbanite that likes just the right amount of privacy ... there is very few places where you can be literally close to everything and at the same time far from it all ... I live on the Grove for the last ten years and I love it ... I just found the perfect rental for a young man Mr. P. from Alabama same age as yours, 25, he rented out the place sight unseen and he loves it, not the first time that I located just the perfect place for a client that has not seen it so I do have a good track record of looking and finding just what you have in mind ... allow me please being of service to you ... please when you hear that Brickell is a good place for you ... run the other way, whoever said so didn't 'get' what you not only implied but said straight up ... and South Beach? HaHaHaJiJiJi ... 'lovely' to visit for few hours but then ... you can't wait to get out ... talking about smug ... smug is their holy motto. Feel free to contact me at any time of your convenience at realtorelena1822@gmail.com or text/call: (305)588-4420. Thanks! E!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 29, 2013
West Palm Beach is a great Place. Very close to West Palm Beach International airport.

Close to the beach , parks and shopping.

Please contact me if I can help.

James Loftis
954-261-3361
Real Estate 911 Inc Broker/Owner
RealEstate911@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 29, 2013
Everyone feels they live in the best place....otherwise they wouldn't be there, right! The truth of the matter is there are many very desirable locations and reasons that attract people. What's ideal largely depends upon someone's personal preference.

I happen to like: Key West, St. Augustine, Sarasota, Venice, Miami, Orlando and most other places along the coast......

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 29, 2013
Hello, I suppose Brickle Ave could be the best place for you because , you never will have a hard time for meeting with people there. Good luck . Maria D Diaz
Coldwell Banker marilindiaz@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 29, 2013
Only as a suggestion for a 25 years old, OUTGOING single person, based upon my own experience coming from New York to Florida, and having travelled all over the world: I would suggest you to come and check out South Beach and Brickell Avenue. Let me know if I can help you with more "tips" about these places. Just call me. Good luck !

Leonardo da Motta (Leo),
Broker Associate
First Service Realty/ Real Living
Doral, Florida
Cell: (305) 205- 8912
Fax: (305) 471-0885
Email: LeoMiamiHomes@gmail.com
Skype: nardinho2010
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 29, 2013
I am figuring a good number of my colleagues were in a rush to answer your question, if you want to stay away from traffic and congestion as much as possible you will certainly need to stay away from Brickell, Miami Beach....LAS OLAS???? rotfl.

Decent amount of young people and no congestion, hum, that's a tough one!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 29, 2013
Hi George,

If you really want to enjoy true "Florida style" things to do like lively entertainment, open air dining, music and fun at one of the traditional pier restaurants overlooking the Intracoastal Waterway or just wide variety of exceptional recreational activities for people of all ages, you should consider Boynton Beach. Is a city with a welcoming design, stunning architecture and inviting scenery.

You can be able to find a rental place or a property to buy in a modest price and is only 17 minutes away from West Palm Beach airport.

All the Best,

Maria Cipollone
Cell: 954 240-5521

http://www.Flahomespecialist.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 29, 2013
South Tampa or St. Pete near the pier.

Of course I'm SoldOnTampa.com so I may be biased!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 29, 2013
I like Tampa and St. Pete too. :0)
Flag Fri Aug 30, 2013
Hi George,

Thanks for your question. You mentioned you like to live amoung young people with a lot to do I believe it may be a little difficult to find those requirements without a little traffic and congestion.

Miami is a real lively place to live with tons of young professionals. Fort Lauderdale has the same feel but less congested.

Close to the airport. What do you consider close? That is going to be the determining factor when finding a place that best suits your needs.

Weston is a wonderful area that has a lot of young people, lots to do and is definitely not as congested as the city. The Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood airport is about 30 minutes away and the Mimai airport would be about 40 minutes away.

In my humble opinion, I think Weston would be the area that best suits your needs.

Good luck with your search.

Mary O'Brien
Coral Shore Realty - Fort Lauderdale
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 29, 2013
Westonzuela? He is trying get away from Orlando. LOL
Flag Fri Aug 30, 2013
I would recommend downtown Ft. Lauderdale and Las Olas for a young professional. Also less than 10 minutes to Fort Lauderdale Airport. Call me at (954)-549-9397.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 29, 2013
Brickell, Miami Beach, Aventura, Coral Gables. Please contact me directly at meg@viviendarealtors.com and I will gladly assist with your relocation.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 29, 2013
Brickell Area very nice. A lot of young professionals. Need help 305 519-3199.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 29, 2013
There is a lot to do in Miami and surrounding areas, in the North East and South West.
Miami is quickly growing - especially in Edgewater and Design District area.
These 2 areas are very popular with young professionals, and it's easy to meet new people in Miami in general. However, Miami Dade county is more congested comparing to Broward county.

Broward county is also cheaper to live in - smaller sales tax (things add up) and good lower priced grocery stores.

I suggest to check out Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Sunny Isles, Bay Harbor Islands, Aventura.

Best to come here and check it out!

Best of luck,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
Please contact me, will be glad to help you with any properties in this area. My wife is also a Mortgage Broker and speaks Spanish, should you need any help with the mortgage process.

James Loftis
954-261-3361
Real Estate 911 Inc Broker/Owner
RealEstate911@gmail.com
RealEstate911.com
If you look for a home in Delray Beach up here to the north, or a home in South Beach, down in the Maimi Beach area, you will find yourself surrounded by young professionals. Another area to consider is West Palm Beach; look at West Palm Beach condos in downtown West Palm near City Place.

Marc Jablon, the Jablon Team
Re/Max Complete Solutions
JablonTeam@gmail.com
561-213-6139
http://www.JablonTeam.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 27, 2013
Brickell is wonderful for young professionals, and midtown is very close to the Airport. My site has a number of options available.
Web Reference: http://www.olgarubin.com/
Fort Lauderdale is increasingly popular among the young professional crowd. Please feel free to explore the neighborhoods on my site to see if there is a fit and the Fort Lauderdale airport is a large hub. Best of luck!
Web Reference: http://www.timelmes.com/
Web Reference: http://www.timelmes.com/
Many young people enjoy a night life and day life. You may want to look at some of the town homes in Victoria Park.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Hi George,

If you will be purchasing and will need a mortgage, please contact me first for a pre-approval.

Matt Tarka
President – Principal Broker
Serving All of Florida
888-246-9060 Toll Free
954-605-2450 Direct
954-343-8098 Fax
mtarka@clearmortgagelending.com

Clear Mortgage Lending, Inc.
5200 North Federal Hwy
Suite 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308
Hi George,

Thank you for choosing my answer as the best one. You are taking the right decision to stay in Florida. Close to 1000 people move to the Sunshine State every single day. Florida is one of the four fastest growing states in US.

Let me know if I can assist you in selecting your new home in South Florida.

All the Best,

Maria Cipollone
http://www.Flahomespecialist.com
Cell: 954 954 240-5521

http://www.Linkedin.com/pub/maria-cipollone/32/735/81b