Home Buying in Tampa>Question Details

Christine, Home Buyer in Tampa, FL

Best place to buy?

Asked by Christine, Tampa, FL Tue Sep 10, 2013

Hello- My husband and I are relocating to the Tampa area and are trying to figure out the best place to buy a home. We are in our late twenties and do not have children. We would like to be in an area where we can walk (or a short drive/cab ride) to good restaurants, shopping and nightlife. We are not sure if we should be focusing on South Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, or elsewhere. Our budget is about 450K. We would prefer a single family home but are open to a townhome. Thank you!

Answers

16
Christine,

Just checking in to see if you are still looking for an affordable, great home in the Greater Tampa Bay area. I would love to help you and your husband with your move and can suggest many places that might fit the lifestyle you are looking for.

Please review my profile and recommendations on Trulia and send me a message or call me directly at 813-352-6219.

Respectfully,
Tracy Hoyt
Prudential Tropical Realty
You have many options.. There may be some quiet neighborhoods as well that will suit your needs.. Remember life can change quickly and if children do bless your life, you'll want to be prepared.. If you need some options emailed to you, just email me...

Karel Costa-Armas
http://www.KarelCosta.com
786-205-3235
Christine, another thing you want be alert to is the possibility of a property being in a flood zone. Flood rates are skyrocketing to unprecedented levels. Feel free to contact me and I will explain what you should be aware of.

Jim Steele
RE/MAX Marketing Specialists
727-656-7694
jimsteele@remax.net
_
_
As everyone on this site knows, as a Mortgage Broker who is not terrified to tell it like it is and one who is not known for being the easiest on realtors, this lady/ Realtor Lynn Brock below, always offers good insight and great advice.

97% LTV- NO PMI
97% LTV- CONDO- NO PMI
90% LTV- 2nd Home- NO PMI
90% LTV- JUMBO- NO PMI
85% LTV- Super Jumbo- NO PMI
80% LTV- Invest. /Rental
80% LTV- Foreign Nationals
70% LTV- Manf. Homes over 90k

STATED INCOME ALT-up to Super Jumbo

90% LTV- Short Sale, BK, Foreclosure Forgiveness
80% LTV- FIX n’ FLIP Invest. Prop.
75% LTV- Foreign Nationals
70% LTV- Soft and Hard Money

COMMERCIAL PROGRAMS-nationwide

Steve McRory
Pro Option Mortgage/ Florida
steve@pro-option.com
http://WWW.PRO-OPTION.COM
Ph: 888 662 4404
#204296

Prior Service: U.S. MARINE CORPS
====
Christine, Finding the right lifestyle for your family requires research. Try visiting City-Data.com (Tampa). You will find statistics, neighborhood information and public forums commenting on the area. Watch the date of entry. Comments enter in 2006 may not be relevant in 2013. It is a terrific site for learning about the area quickly.

Like any big city, Tampa is comprised of smaller neighborhoods each with their personal flavor and amenities. Overall, Tampa (like Florida) has mediocre walkability. Cities like New York, San Francisco and DC offer high walkability and metro services. What Tampa does offer is fantastic diversity, incredible access to sports, professional and self directed, water and beaches, sunshine, music and culture. Surprisingly, I have found most Tampanians to be very happy, friendly and helpful. Tampa is a vibrant city with oodles of opportunity.

Your budget will allow you to select a home that is best suited for you. If you plan on financing get yourselves pre approved. Then you will be in an excellent position to select the right home for you and your lifestyle.

Lynn Brock
Brock Realty Inc.
941.313.1234

Real estate online and on your mind?
You’re entitled to experience the difference.
Proven track record, VIP service with five star results!
Invest by calling for your smoothest transaction ever at your best negotiated price.
Sold on joining our list of satisfied clients?
Key trends and current inventory LEARN MORE.
http://www.brockrealty-inc.com Search like an agent. MLS listings updated daily. Save favorite searches, receive morning line reports.
Christine,

I am a mortgage lender in Tampa, FL and could definitely help you get pre-qualified. All of the agents below have the right answers for sure. South Tampa and Downtown St Petersburg are a hop, skip, and a jump away from plenty of restaurants, shopping, and nightlife. I would love to talk to you more about it on the phone. Call me when you can.

Erika Butler
Residential Finance
Office 813-316-2162
Off the top of my head, South Tampa, Seven Oaks and Winthrop Village sound like they might be a good fit, and there are plenty of options within and below your budget. I'm the same age, and grew up here in Tampa. If you have any questions about the area, feel free to contact me at (813)358-7854 or on facebook.com/chrissynieveskw
Christine:

Welcome to Tampa! I know you will love Tampa. I came here to go to University of South Florida and I have never left. Based upon the items you have mentioned above - there are a few places I would suggest.

First would be South Tampa - its where I live. Lots of restaurants, close to shopping and great employment sector. Very diverse area with Downtown, Channelside, Ybor, South Tampa, and Westshore all within a short distance to each other. The type of home you would be looking at would be a smaller single family home or townhome.

Second would be Westchase - it is a master plan community so it has its own retail, restaurants and nightlife. You can also get a really nice single family home for your price point. It is about 35-40 minutes from downtown during rush hour but its an easy 20 minute commute at other times.

Third would be St. Petersburg however you would have to consider condominiums. If I did not have my kids in school in S Tampa I would have loved living in downtown St. Petersburg and have given up the yard to do it.

I hope this helps you and I wish you all the best in your relocation. If I can provide any further information, please contact me directly.
Christine,

I think the first questions I would ask you are "Where will you be working?" and "What type of commute time are you comfortable with?"

Depending upon where you are going and at what time, commute times can be brutal. If you are both working from home then you have many more options.

If children are in the near future, you may as well factor good schools into the equation so that you don't have to buy again too soon.

$450K will get you a wonderful single family home in many of the better areas. Best of luck with your move, and if you need any help, please feel free to contact me.

Martina Manning
Cortland Realty Group
404-435-7147
Hi Christine:

You're on the right track. South Tampa or Downtown St Petersburg are most likely to suit your current lifestyle. South Tampa real estate has historically maintained higher property values which also makes it a very competitive market. St. Petersburg has been going through a 'revival' period in the past few years and attracting couples with similar desires to yours.

Wherever you decide to focus your efforts, working with a Buyer's Agent Realtor will make the process more enjoyable with less stress and avoid unwelcome surprises.

With kind regards,
Lisa
Hello Christine,

South Tampa is a good choice but not the only option. There are many viable options for you and your husband to consider depending on your needs.

I am Jack Craparo with Charles Rutenberg Realty Inc. and I have lived and worked in the Tampa/ St Petersburg area for 57 years. I know these markets extremely well. I invite you to contact me at 813-610-7532 and we can talk about your housing needs so that we can proceed smartly in finding that perfect home.

Take care,

Jack Craparo
South Tampa has a great nightlife, you would love the Soho area! And if the no child part ever changes they have great schools as well.

Jim Steele
RE/MAX Marketing Specialists
727-656-7694
jimsteele@remax.net
http://www.jimsteele.remax-florida.com
Hello Christine! I would be happy to help you find exactly what you are looking for! Based on your lifestyle, I would suggest South Tampa, Hyde Park, Downtown St. Petersburg (near pier), or Channelside area. Give me a call and we can discuss further. 813 380 9250 Brenda Ruiz

Brenda Ruiz
813 380 9250
Brenda.Ruiz011@gmail.com
Hi Christine,

Location, location, location!! I would suggest S. Tampa or St. Pete. I would be happy to assist you in your search in both of the those areas. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Jenn Cook
Bahia Realty Group
813-810-7454
jenn@jenncook.com
Christine,

I work with alot of people relocating. I truly understand your dilemma having relocated years ago myself. I know all of the areas you are suggesting and south tampa, near Westshore, or downtown to Northeast St. Pete would fit your requirements, more so that the other areas. I can suggest a few other areas as well, which would work. I would love to help you out. Let me know we can talk so that I can get a better idea about what you are looking for.

Bill Szydlowski
813-323-4443
-
-
I'm from here, in the Tampa Bay area, and unlike those who may claim an area is better because its convenient to them to show property, as a Mortgage Broker, I don't have a dog in the hunt, so I'll tell you exactly where I think are the best areas.

Contact me right now if you'd like 813-443-0808.

http://WWW.PRO-OPTION.COM
100% LTV- VA
100% LTV- USDA
99% LTV- FHA/580 score @ lower LTV

97% LTV- NO PMI
97% LTV- CONDO- NO PMI
90% LTV- 2nd Home- NO PMI
90% LTV- JUMBO- NO PMI
85% LTV- Super Jumbo- NO PMI
80% LTV- Invest. /Rental
80% LTV- Foreign Nationals
70% LTV- Manf. Homes over 90k

STATED INCOME ALT-up to Super Jumbo

80% LTV- FIX n’ FLIP Invest. Prop.
75% LTV- Foreign Nationals
70% LTV- Soft and Hard Money

COMMERCIAL PROGRAMS-nationwide

Steve McRory
Pro Option Mortgage/ Florida
steve@pro-option.com
http://WWW.PRO-OPTION.COM
Ph: 888 662 4404
#204296

Prior Service: U.S. MARINE CORPS
====