Home Buying in Fremont>Question Details

Dreams, Home Buyer in Fremont, CA

Best option to choose for mortgage loan. I need mortgage loan and confused between 30 yr fixed, 7 arm or 10 arm... In current market scenario...

Asked by Dreams, Fremont, CA Wed Mar 26, 2014

Best option to choose for mortgage loan. I need mortgage loan and confused between 30 yr fixed, 7 arm or 10 arm... In current market scenario...wht should I go for and it is for residential home in Fremont, California.
Thx

Answers

10
Good question my friend. Let's review:

Most people do something with their home (refinance, sell and move away or move up) every 5-7 years. That would make a 5 or 7 year fixed the loan for you if for instance you are buying a condo or townhouse and believe you will be moving up in the future to a single family residence.

Taking an ARM loan will allow you to have reduced payments due to the lower interest rate and will also then allow you to pay less interest overall during the 5-7 years you have the loan.

The downside here is that if you don't move up or move away, then the fixed rate becomes adjustable. That adjustable rate may be less than the fixed rate at that time, but could be higher than what you are paying in the beginning. The loan also adjusts to be able to pay the loan off (fully amortize) in the balance of the years left - something that could increase payments as well.

In this situation, the 5 & 7 year ARM's are good choices, but not necessarily the 10 year. The 10 year ARM often is so close to the 30 that I recommend if you are leaning towards a longer ARM to just go with the 30 year fixed.

Speaking of the 30 year fixed - If you are unsure about your time in the home, if you have found a good home for your family, good schools, etc., then the 30 year is your pick. I know that I am now in my 16th year in my home and I would not be without a fixed rate loan. Having a payment that fluctuates makes it a little difficult to project a budget down the road.

The other reason to pick the 30 year fixed is that we are still in a time where rates are historically some of the best rates in the history of home loans. Rates are destined to go up and having a low 30 year fixed rate now could possibly beat the best adjustable rates down the road should we move into a stronger economy.

These are the typical reasons for choosing - or not choosing, an ARM or a Fixed rate loan. If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to write or call. I am glad to help you and your family.

Best regards, John
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 26, 2014
Rates are all time low whichever program you choose. If you have a long term plan of holding on to the home then a 30 year is a better option . If you have a short term plan maybe 7 year might be an option as rates are normally better.
TU to John Dutra for his excellent and expansive answer.

I have a friend who opted for 30 year loan with the first 10 years interest only. Now that the loan will adjust, he is looking a very substantial increase in monthly payments because the remaining balance (remember the first 10 years were interest only) will have to be amortized over only 20 years at the new rate. It does not matter if the rate is lower or higher the monthly payments will be much higher because they will now include the principal that he was not paying for the first 10 years.

I would pick the 30 year fixed rate loan unless you strongly suspect that you will be moving in 5-7 years.
Hi ch_sac,

I totally agree with John; if you find yourself in an established neighbor that demonstrates steady demand I would go with the 30-year (which I did - been in my house 26 years now).
If you intend to own the home indefinitely and value a stable mortgage payment that will never go up, go for a fixed rate mortgage. You can refinance when when and if it benefits you and not when you have to or your rate jumps to an unaffordable level.
There are a lot of options....but only you can determine the best for YOU. Do yourself a favor and find a local Mortgage Broker who will discuss the options that are most relevant for you.
ch,
Simple question for you; how long do you expect to own the home? If you plan to own it for a very long time, do the 30 year and forget about the others. If you say "I get itchy feet and move every 5, 7, or 10 years" then consider the ARM's. Realize that with most ARM products the rate is capped to a 2 point maximum bump every period, but the initial bump may be 5 points. A great rate now in the 2's, may jump to the 7's when that first adjustment comes in. Are you okay with that?
Mortgages can be confusing, it's best to talk to a seasoned loan consultant to see what's
best for you.
Interest rates differ for different programs too, I'd be happy to guide you with all your
options and see what is best for you.

Lubna
510 882 6729
It will all depend on the size of the loan an your long time plan with this house.

If you are not planning to stay there more than 10 years, and if the rate makes sense, 10 year ARM might be the way to go.

otherwise

We have an hybrid 7 year ARM and 10 year ARM program with conversion option

The conversion option, built-in, offers you the flexibility to convert your ARM program to a fixed-rate program anytime from the first interest rate change (in 7 or 10 years) date through the fifth change date (in 12 or 15 years). It is free of charge, and the conversion interest rate would be based on the Fannie Mae's required net yield for 30-year fixed rate first mortgages, covered by applicable 60-day mandatory commitments, plus one percentage point (1.0%)....at the time of the conversion.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Thierry Abel
Senior Loan Consultant
All California Mortgage
A Division of APMC
P: (415) 464-8261
C: (415) 378-7508
F: (415) 464-2367
E: tabel@allcalifornia.com
NMLS 304353 - BRE 01380701
I would be more than happy to give you a quote and counsel you through the different options. Call me any time or Just send me an email if you have any further questions.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer

http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com
408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com