Home Buying in Arlington>Question Details

Admoran, Home Buyer in Arlington, VA

Best neighborhood to live in Arlington and Bethesda

Asked by Admoran, Arlington, VA Sun Mar 11, 2012

Any advice in what area to look for a single family house to raise a family in Arlington maybe Bethesda without blowing my budget of $700,000.

Answers

12
She probably has sorted it out, since the question is over two years old.
I am moving to Arlington, VA this month with my 3 daughters. Can you please recommend good neighborhoods with good schools (middle and high). I am looking for 3 bed rooms apartment/house to rent for now. Appreciate your assistance.
I lived i both in past 10 years, and Bethesda/Friendship Heights area made me feel more like at home. It feels like you are in the city, infrastructure is better, schools are the best, it's greener, bike trails near by and it's very safe. I have a teenager and I am never worried for him staying out late with friends, nor I have to drive him anywhere since the public transportation is available just 2 blocks away. Important factor to consider when your children need to gain independence. I do enjoy the factor that I do not need to drive anywhere: supermarkets, shops, restaurant , doctors, schools - they are all around me.
Hi

Here is a report of all the homes currently for sale in 22207 right now:
http://matrixreports.mris.com/MatrixReportServer/Output/1126…

If you want to live near the Pentagon, 22202 is the closest, 22204 is another zip in South Arlington.
If you want to be along the orange line 22201,22209,22203, 22205, 22213 would be areas worth looking at.

Please let me know if you need any assistance as the time gets closer to your move.

Melissa
mbarkalow@comcast.net
202.285.9479
Thank you all for your helpful information, and the more I read and research the more I'm leaning on looking for a house in Arlington. My husband will be working at the pentagon at the end of the year and We wont be able to look at houses until he gets his orders in hand, but I sure appreciate all the information I can get. We will be looking for the biggest, cheapest house in the best neighborhood, not afraid of total fixers, preferable in the north side of Arlington, maybe 22207? any ideas of other areas? Thank you.
I can give you access to my MRIS account if you want to do some searches for what's available. My e-mail is marciaburgos@yahoo.com, I'll send you the log in infomation.
Flag Thu Mar 15, 2012
I just moved from 22207 to 22204. I got a great deal. I wanted to stay north as well but houses just so small. More than happy to show you what's out there and maybe some areas that are going to see growing values instead of peaked areas. Just depends on whether or not you are looking for specific schools, etc. Please feel free to call 703-282-9098.
Flag Thu Mar 15, 2012
That depends on what you want. Different people like neighborhoods for different reasons. I have lived in Arlington for 11 years and have been a Realtor® working here for 8 years and have helped many clients figure out what kind of neighborhood suits their needs. Are you looking for more of an urban feel, proximity to shops and transit? Or like the idea of larger lots and privacy? Or perhaps a bit in between? Arlington has them all. There are homes available for $700,000, but they do usually sell fast. What neighborhood you choose can make a difference in what you get for that $700K. Areas closer to Metro and DC, tend to give you less for your money, and neighborhoods further from DC and metro tend to give you a bit more. As for Bethesda, I am not as familiar with it as I don't work there, but have friends there who live there and are very happy. Arlington and Bethesda are similar in regards to heavy density, similar prices, lots of retail and restaurants, highly ranked schools and easy Metro/DC access. If you are not working with an agent and would like to discuss the options in Arlington further, feel free to contact me - 703-200-3631.
I have been in Bethesda since the 1980's. I have seen it go from a tired suburb to one of the most sought after communities in the whole DC Metro Area. Depending on where you work, Bethesda could be a good fit for you. You can get to almost anywhere in about 30 minutes - including the three area airports. There are several ways to get into Downtown DC that doesn't involve bridges. If you work in Tysons, its usually about 20-30 minutes even when traffic is heavy. If it is super thick, it will obviously take longer.

If political preference is important to you, the decision is already made for you. So the question is do you want to send your tax dollars to Richmond or Annapolis? Many of my clients pick one of the states based on this issue alone. Tax freedom day in VA is April 12th while in MD it is April 17th. So taxes are a bit more in MD than in VA.

Further, if schools are an item of concern for you, Maryland schools have been ranked the best schools in the country by Education Week for four years running and the schools in Bethesda are some of the best in the state.

I can think of several neighborhoods in Bethesda that would fit within your budget of $700K.

Feel free to contact me on 202 604-0000 or Martin@SignoreMove.com if you would like to discuss further.

Thanks for posting
Web Reference: http://www.SignoreMove.com
Our family has lived in Arlington since 1976. Our daughters grew up here, went to public schools here, and we have been involved with various community activities since that time. We think it is the best jurisdiction in the Greater Metropolitan Area, and there are neighborhoods to fit almost any temperment. We have friends who live in Bethesda, and that is a nice place as well, but there is a big difference between Montgomery County and Arlington County. Look at the media to see the kinds of issues that are important in the two governmental districts, talk to your friends, and then find the best local agent or team to help you find the property that best fits your needs. Good luck with your search.
Westover is great if you want some quaint restaurants and shops within walking distance of your house...more of a small town feel. Maywood is a historic neighborhood off Lee Highway with some really nice turn of the century farmhouses (there's nothing on the market in Maywood under 700k at the moment, but I have one coming in the next month that will be in your price range). Cherrydale and Lyon Park are great if you like bungalows. Lyon Park is pretty close to metro and the restaurants in Clarendon. Those are some of my favorite Arlington neighborhoods in your price range. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.
Web Reference: http://www.piersonteam.com
Hi

There are many great neighborhoods in both locations and both Arlington and Bethesda have a lot to offer. I have lived in both Bethesda and currently live in Arlington. It really depends on what you are looking for. How much space do you need? Do you want to live close to a metro, is being close to the bus enough? What amenities are you looking to be near? Both Arlington and Bethesda have parks and community centers, do you want to be closer to work? There are many factors to consider. Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have and I would be glad to be of assistance if you are in need of an agent to give you assistance.

Melissa
mbarkalow@comcast.net
I too have lived in north Arlington for over 20 years. Arlington is divided pretty much in half with each part - north and south - having its own unique personality. In terms of where you might want to live, I would want to find out more specifics about what you're families particular wants needs and desires are. I would e more than happy to share my knowledge with you. Please feel free to contact me via email at juliclifford@arlingtoncountyvarealty.com
Have a wonderful evening!
I moved to Arlington in 2007 to send my daughter to Key School which is a bi-lingual immersion elementary school. I continue to learn more and more about Arlington as I live here and it was the best decision I ever made. Arlington is such a wonderful place to raise children and have a family. I can not speak as much about Bethesda as I have never lived there but if you want to discuss anything in Arlington, please feel free to get in touch with me. marciaburgos@yahoo.com I specialize in Arlington. I believe taxes are higher in MD. I have 2 clients/friends who live in Bethesda and they have children. I'm sure they would be happy to discuss living in Bethesda and schools there. There are plenty of houses in Arlington for $700k or less, just depends on what you are looking for.
Web Reference: http://www.marciaburgos.com