Home Buying in Ocean City>Question Details

mgvrmark, Home Buyer in Ocean City, NJ

Best area of OC to own rental property?

Asked by mgvrmark, Ocean City, NJ Thu Sep 26, 2013

We're thinking of buying a single-family home in Ocean City, to rent out during the summer and us it ourselves in the off-season. For our own use, we'd prefer a nice, fairly new home in a less crowded area. But I'm guessing that the best "rentability" would be a 4-bedroom house within about 4 blocks of the beach and possibly within walking distance of downtown -- correct? Is it difficult to rent a nice house further down the island, for instance in the 20's or 30's? Would the Gardens section, or Merion Park, or Ocean City Homes sections be very difficult to rent? Do we need to just stick with the area near the promenade, roughly 1st to 23rd, to be assured of reliable rentals each year?

Answers

9
The best area in Ocean City for a rental property is on the beach, but also the most expensive. The houses in the 20's & 30's can do very well as rental property, especially those in proximity to 34Th Street and the shopping and restaurants located there.
And area not to overlook is the deep south end. The Isle is much narrower there putting most homes close to the beach, sometimes while offering beautiful meadow views for a reasonable price.

Patrick
mck@bergerrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 27, 2013
Thanks Patrick, good advice. I don't think we can afford beachfront. Gold Coast or North End sound about right, the Gardens looks like a beautiful area but maybe not as rent-able.

Mark
Flag Fri Sep 27, 2013
If you've ever watched the number of cars pouring over the ninth street bridge into Ocean City on a Summer Saturday, you can only imagine that in each car there are people who swear that THEIR section is the best on the island. Renters with kids like to be near the amusements, Renters who prefer the quiet sounds of the Ocean prefer the beaches away from the boardwalk area. Walkers love to be near the downtown to shop. The list is endless which is why Ocean City is such a great place to own property. The selections are as diverse as the people who come! As long as a rental is clean and properly priced you will have no trouble renting it!
If you need help finding a place to buy, I'd be happy to help!
Joanne Bernardini, SFR
Coldwell Banker Casa Bella Realtors
601 New Rd.
Linwood, NJ 08221
Cell 609-947-2451
joannebernardini@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 27, 2013
It's all good! People will rent any property in Ocean City, as long as it is in good condition. The closer to the water, the higher the rents. I would advise you to buy a newer property with a higher elevation to avoid high flood insurance rates. I have owned properties and rented them in the Southend and the Northend and as long as they are priced right and clean, they always rented right up. I live in Ocean City and have enjoyed it since 1958. Check out my website at http://www.kenfowser.com and check out my testimonial movie. I have a passion for Ocean City and I will help you make the right choice. Call me direct at: 609-412-8258 anytime with any questions you may have.
Seas the Day!
Ken Fowser
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 26, 2013
HIghest rentals do occur in the Boardwalk area between 1st to 23rd. People want to be where the action and fun are, with the ease of parking a car and walking or biking to most places. It is not difficult to rent a home in the Goldcoast section either if it is priced to market. But the easiest still remains in the prime boardwalk area. Newer also rents easier.

We would be more than happy to discuss or drive you around and show you the different areas of the city, what their sales and rental histories are for the different properties to help you better understand and make your decision. Please feel free to call us at 609-602-7140, email jackandjill@kw.com.

You can check out available properties at http://www.teamocjack.com or research some rental options and prices at http://www.KWshorerentals.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 26, 2013
the southern end is also easy to rent if the price is right!
I can't think of a better place than OC to raise your children,vacation or retire when the kidz are grown. Rentals do very well here.
Some people like the quieter side of the island; while others like to be in the thick of the excitement downtown and near the boards. Wherever you decide to buy. If you would like to start searching ; I would be happy to send you some propertys to look at. I will set you up on an email notification to view propertys; and then when you see one you would like to see; I'll schedule a showing for you. I can show you any property listed in the MLS
email me at deniseqhomes@gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 9, 2013
Joanne Bernardini, SFR
Coldwell Banker Casa Bella Realtors
601 New Rd.
Linwood, NJ 08221
Cell 609-947-2451
joannebernardini@gmail.com
Your question is very common. Everyone would prefer a Single Family to own and most renters would also love a single over a condo. The question for you would be, what is your price-point? The answer to this question will help you to know what areas you realistically can afford. Like all real estate in Ocean City, the closer to the beach, the more expensive. You should schedule some time to come down to OC and I can take you through the town and look through the price-points. Feel free to call me on my cell anytime to discuss.

Kevin G. Redmond
Broker/Owner
NJ Realty-Ocean City
210 E 10th Street
Ocean City, NJ 08226
office- 609-398-6762
cell-609-513-6220
fax- 609-398-6764
kgredmond@comcast.net
http://www.njrealtyoc.com
2011 Ocean City Board of Realtors "REALTOR of the Year"
Kevin, thanks for responding ... price point would be roughly $800k to $1M. For our own use, we'd prefer a quieter area, probably not right downtown ... but don't want something that is hard to rent, either. So ... Gold Coast? North End? Is South End too far away from the boardwalk area? Is it hard to rent out a house in the Gardens?
Flag Thu Sep 26, 2013
The most advantageous area is within 2 blocks. North, South, Central is really not that relevant.
within 2 blocks of what???? Your answer is not very clear.
Flag Mon May 5, 2014