Home Buying in San Diego>Question Details

MarkD, Real Estate Pro in Lahaina, HI

Best area for single, professional home owner looking for eclectic, hetero, creative, mostly owner-occupied neighborhood. Too specific?

Asked by MarkD, Lahaina, HI Fri Nov 16, 2012

Musician selling house on Maui, been there for 15 years and ready to move back to so cal; grew up in Laguna Beach; not really interested in cookie-cutter condo normal apathy.

Answers

9
Hi Mark,

If you want to be close the San Diego urban center, you'd probably be interested in the following areas: North Park, Mission Hills, Kensington.

If you want more of a coastal atmosphere, Cardiff, Encinitas, Leucadia will do the trick, expecially coming from Hawaii!
Mark,

Do you want a house or a condo? Do you want to live in an older established neighborhood or an area with mostly newer homes? Newer homes may be easier to maintain but you may find homes in newer neighborhoods too similar for your taste, as many newer homes can appear to be cookie-cutter-type homes. Call me and let me know what type of home (house or condo), what age and size of home and what price range you are interested in. I can send you detailed listings of properties in various areas that meet your criteria.

Tera George
Broker

Coastal Realty
(760) 931-0345
80's (could use a bit of fixing up but nothing major).House with separate rental unit (like I have here on Maui). At this point Im fishing for neighborhoods that fit the bill
Flag Wed Nov 21, 2012
Hi Mark,

Congrats on selling the house. My wife and I got married over there 7 years ago and love that island. #1 Answer- Encinitas
Here's Why:
Downtown is cool, you can walk to almost everything and there's public transit and the gaslamp is awesome (great sushi at Taka http://www.yelp.com/biz/taka-san-diego ). And it is also high density, a little louder than you may be used to and the beach is further away even though you can see water everywhere.
La Jolla is stunning and has great beaches and restaurants, the traffic can be a little brutal.
Del Mar is trendy and hip and the beaches are better in Encinitas.
Swami's and Moonlight are both excellent spots. The restaurants are fantastic and there's plenty of them. There's a Whole Foods on the main road along with bars, restaurants, beer places, clothing, bikes, and the real estate is diverse. It's also sort of hippie so you get the farmers markets and granola feeling along with the beach vibe along with the successful professionals.
Give me a call if you want me to show you around and talk business too. My direct line is: 760-618-1490. Best of luck to you.

Chris Whittaker
Keller Williams Carlsbad
Chris@NCSanDiego.com
http://www.NCSanDiego.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2012
Hillcrest or Mission Hills come to mind...there are heteros in these neighborhoods! I think you might also like the village of Encinitas, Pacific Beach, or Ocean Beach which all have an eclectic 'alternative' five to them.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.
All great answers, but it really depends on your budget and what type of property you're looking for! If you can offer a little more criteria, I'll be happy to send you the MLS listings available now. This will help you narrow down your search areas too. San Diego really has some fun neighborhoods!

And, just FYI, here are a couple of links for music events and things to do, from the Union Tribune and one from the Reader, to give you an idea of what's happening here now.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/music/shows/
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/night-and-day/music-nightlife/

Warm Regards,

Cory La Scala, REALTOR
Independence Realty
619-825-6421
Lic # 01443391
Mark
Do you want a condo? Then I would suggest downtown up to Mission Hills or some of the beach communities. If you are looking for a house then your options may be Mission Hills. Kensington (where I live), North/South Park and the beaches.
A lot depends on your price range. I am a native of San Diego and have lived in several parts of the county. I would be glad to help you find the right place, but need a bit more information.
We used to have a condo on Maui up on Honoapiilani Rd. I do miss it but San Diego is a great place to live.

Local Help with Your Real Estate Needs

Jerry Heard
Your Broker
The San Diego Property Shop
http://www.TheSanDiegoPropertyShop.com
jerry.sdps@cox.net
Direct 619-920-9796
Office 619-269-5545
Fax 619-269-9168
CA DRE # 00648687
From Cardiff to Leucadia, west of the 5.
hi Mark,

I would say Downtown San Diego, Little Italy, North Park, South Park, Mission Hills, Pacific Beach, Kensington, La Jolla.

What price range? bed/baths? are you looking at?

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
hectorgastelum@yahoo.com
619-954-2225
125*142*10754
efax 619-270-2516
Hello Mark,

Downtown San Diego properties have an exciting alternative to the “cookie cutter” condo and has everything you want within walking distance or just a short cab ride away. With just minutes away to Gaslamp District, Petco Park, San Diego Bay, Balboa Park, Horton Plaza as well as the finest night clubs, restaurants and Copley Symphony Hall. Downtown also holds stunning views of the Bay, Coronado Bridge, Petco Park as well as other historic landmarks. I would also consider Little Italy. Metro San Diego properties have the alternative to the “cookie cutter” condo like Bankers Hills, Mission Hills and North Park,Talmadge they too have great restaurants, shopping, nightlife, and entertainment also within. If you’re considering coastal, then I recommend Pacific Beach, La Jolla and Del Mar. If you want me to email you great listing, my contact information is below. If you decide to come to San Diego, I can you find you a temporary rental while searching for your perfect property. I recommended you view at least view 20-30 properties in the locations I've mentioned or wherever else suites your needs. This way you will get the feel of what you want and feel confident when purchasing. I assure you, you will not find a harder working, knowledgeable realtor as committed to my client’s satisfaction as myself.

Michael Alex
Real Estate Consultant
“The Trustworthy Knowledgeable Choice in Real Estate”
cell. 619.581.9348
email. AskMichaelAlex@gmail.com
Pacific Sotheby's International Realty
San Diego,CA