fla.relo.sea…, Home Buyer in West Palm Beach, FL

Best School Districts in West Palm Beach & Surrounding Areas

Asked by fla.relo.search, West Palm Beach, FL Sat Feb 9, 2013

What are the top 4 school districts in the area & pros/cons of each? Looking at moving to area (job near Howard Park/City Place) sometime before June 2013. We have 3 small kids (oldest just entering kindergarten in fall). Would like to balance commuting distance, quality of schools, & family friendly community/neighborhood.

House budget is up to $650k or so (hoping for less).

(Please don't just respond with "call me" - If you provide good insight to the above question, I'll likely reach out to you).

Thanks so much!

Answers

5
Dear Sir or Madam,

Putting your children's education on top of your list will bring you to Wellington, Boca Raton or Jupiter as these cities all have A rated schools.

I moved to Wellington for the schools myself and couldn't be happier with the decision.

Based on what you are looking for you will be able to find homes under $ 650,000.00 (all depends on your wishlist), however there are lots of great homes at a great price on the market at this time.

If you would like to get a free list of the homes available in the mentioned school districts, feel free to contact me.

Sandra Gold - Realtor
Keller Williams
561-860-3321
DestinationDreamHome@gmail.com
htpp://www.sandragold.kwrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 14, 2013
Dear fla.relo.search,

Thank you for putting your children's education on the top of your list when starting your home search. Generally speaking three districts typically have higher ratings that others throughout Palm Beach County; Jupiter, Wellington and Boca Raton. Either Wellington or Jupiter will work for you from a locational standpoint. In Wellington you will be 14 miles inland but still have a very high quality of life and very favorable home prices. In Jupiter you have an amazing seaside location and in my humble opinion the best spot to raise a family in South Florida. My daughter has attended elementary, middle and high school in Jupiter and is a junior this year at Jupiter High. Not sure how much you know about the area but here is an article I wrote about Jupiter that you may find interesting. That is our puppy Kiwi on the beach and Jupiter truly is one of the happiest seaside towns you will find anywhere.

http://tompriester.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/2352/

One of my favorite sites when it comes to school ratings is http://www.greatschools.org and if you have an iPhone check out their app which is also a fantastic tool. I love their site, use it often and highly recommend it to my clients who are interested in finding the best schools for their children's education. GreatSchools profiles public, private and charter schools and has a great format for readers to leave comments. Besides their rating system the comment section is the best place to go to get real life feedback from children who attend the schools as well as their parents.

You might also want to check out the Florida Department of Education School accountability reports which are also a wealth of information and can be accessed with this link;

http://schoolgrades.fldoe.org/default.asp

After doing your homework on-line I always recommend parents visit the school live and in person prior to making any purchasing decisions in that district and if you need assistance let me know as I would be happy to show you around.

Clearly defining your housing goals paying close attention to not only location but budget and condition you are willing to accept and having your pre-approval or proof of funds up to date and ready to go is the key to success. In this market you have to be ready to act quickly when the right opportunities present themselves. I would enjoy the opportunity to be on the list of Realtors® you interview be very happy to work with you towards meeting your goals.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com
Thanks Tom. Had actually stumbled across your blog earlier (helpful)! Good highligh of Jupiter - while it seems a little far, it is absolutely on our "short list".
Flag Sun Feb 10, 2013
The best school districts in terms of overall ratings that are within 30 miles of West Palm Beach include the following:

Parkland, which is well west of route 441 and just at the top of Broward County. It is considered the top district in our area.

Close to you, but north, Jupiter schools are A rated and homes in Jupiter maintain value because of the schools.

To the west of you is Wellington, where schools to the west of the community are all A rated.

Finally, there is Boca Raton, which has long been sought out by homebuyers because its schools have been consistently rated A by the state for the last 20 years.

In terms of commute, a home in Wellington, will be closest in mileage. You might hesitate at that kind of move because Forest Hills Boulevard is a local east to west route, and you will exit from your Wellington home on that road.

However, if you drive north to Southern Boulevard, which is the next main intersection north on 441 (State Road 7). you will be on our local/express road, which will get you into the City Place area in around 15 minutes.

If you're thinking that you might like to move to a home in Boca Raton, your commute will be very close to your commuting time from a Wellington home.

That's because from Boca Raton you'll be able to take Florida's Turnpike up to Southern Boulevard, and then head east. You'll move from highway to local/express.

Also, driving time is likely to be equal because most of the homes in your price category in Wellington will be situated farther to the west than are homes in Boca. Less local driving and more highway driving from Boca; more local driving from Wellington.

A home in Parkland will mean a long trek each day. You're west of Boca and you have to head east by local roads to the turnpike or route 869, another highway, and then to the turnpike in order to get up to Southern Boulevard.

Similarly, commuting to a Jupiter home will occasionally feel as if you are traveling to a distant planet.

So, in synopsis, best school districts for you in terms of commuting time are in Wellington to the west, or anywhere in Boca Raton. Your home in Boca Raton may be situated to the west near the Florida Turnpike or the east near route 95. And 95 brings you directly up to Okeechobee Boulevard, (one exit north of Southern) which leads directly into the City Place vicinity.

To check school ratings in Palm Beach County for Jupiter, Wellington, and Boca Raton, go to: http://palmbeachschools.org/

To check by home address to see where your child will go to school if you live in Boca Raton, Jupiter, or Wellington, go to: http://pbgis.palmbeach.k12.fl.us/addresslocator/lookup.html

To check school ratings in Parkland (Broward County), go to: http://www.browardschools.com/index.asp

To check by home address in Parkland to see where your child will go to school, go to: http://www.browardschools.com/schools/locator.htm

To find currently available homes located in any of the abovementioned cities, please go to: http://www.JablonTeam.com You will be able to search by price and/ or subdivision.

Marc Jablon, The Jablon Team
RE/MAX Complete Solutions
JablonTeam@gmail.com
561-213-6139
http://www.JablonTeam.com
Thanks Marc - very helpful. Hadn't thought much about Boca, will look a little more into it. Assuming I'm on the North side of Boca near the Del Ray Beach border, any general observations around lifestyle? I see the obvious (near 95 = shorter commute; near the water = fun), but having grown up in FL (west/central), I'm quite familiar with the snowbird impact. No issue with it, but would like to avoid dropping my 3 toddlers into the middle of an active living community (mostly for the sake of my poor neighbors :). Any neighborhoods that come to mind as better fit for our circumstances? (again - thx for the response & your time.
Flag Sun Feb 10, 2013
Here is list of some of the best overall rated schools for the areas that would be a short commute to the Howard Park Area/City Place.

Palm Beach Public School k-5
South Olive Elementary School k-5
H. L. Johnson Elementary School k-5
Binks Forest Elementary School k-5
Wellington Landings Middle School 6-8
Equestrian Trails Elementary School

I reside in the south end of West Palm Beach, about 5-10 mins from City Place, and our child attends South Olive Elementary. It is an excellent school that is A Rated. The facilities and staff are the best. With that being said, this end of town does not offer the best middle or high school and if you plan on staying in area for many years it would most likely be better if you chose an area that had A rated schools for each different grade level.

Wellington, Jupiter, and areas of Palm Beach Gardens offer a good mix of great communities, schools, entertainment and shopping/dinning. All these are about at 20-25 min commute from work. If you like the beach then I would concentrate my home search in the Jupiter or Palm Beach Gardens area.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

David Harrelson, Broker
Palm Beach Realty Group, LLC
580 Village Boulevard, Suite 150
West Palm Beach, FL 33409
561.594.4000 Office Line, Ext. 101
561.414.7630 Direct
561.594.5000 Fax
wdavidharrelson@gmail.com
Thanks David, this was great - appreciate it. I'll dig into Jupiter & Palm Beach Gardens (not sure what the real differences b/t these would be (PBG seems a little closer & not directly on water?). As for Wellington - given the distance from coast - is this basically a (slightly more affluent) suburb of the larger communities? (hence the schools/etc)? As I dig in, I'll get back to you w/ questions.
Flag Sun Feb 10, 2013
Discovery Key Elementary

3550 Lyons Rd
Lake Worth, FL 33467
District: Palmbeach County Public Schools
(561) 491-8200
Equestrian Elementary
9720 Stribling Way
Wellington, FL 33414
(561) 904-9600

Both are A schools with great housing surrounding
I could supply you with additional info. on Monday if you wish.
Best Regards
Gemma Kanhai
email:gemmakanhairealtor@gmail.com