Maria, Home Buyer in 11209

Best Neighboorhood in Long Island. I am looking to buy a house in Long Island around $500,000.00. What is the?

Asked by Maria, 11209 Sat Mar 1, 2008

best neighboorhood where to invest for the future and close to LIRR (I work in NYC).

Answers

14
As you can see we all capable of helping you. As a real estate agent we not allowed to discus school performance in any area. You can go to http://www.greatschools.org and do your research on your own. Close to NYC Floral Park, Franklin Square, Valley Stream and many more.You have to do your homework and we can take it from there. Enjoy your research. Hopefully talking to you soon.
Best Regards
Malgorzata Ringston
Exit Links Realty
516-532-2153
I believe your best choices would be bellmore and merrick both have exceptionally good schools. They are both located near train stations. From merrick to the city by train the commute is less than 40 minutes. You did not specify what time of home you are looking for but a 3 bed two bath is within the realm of possibility.
BEST NEIGHBORHOODS ON LONG ISLAND - EXPLORE BOHEMIA

I have been an avid real estate investor and adviser on Long Island for over two decades. If you are looking to buy a home and get a solid return on your investment, there is a town in long island that I see trending upwards. I would recommend that buyers explore Bohemia (Zip Code 11716). I expect to see significant growth in prices in this community over the next decade. With positive growth signals, I see this beautiful long island hamlet becoming a powerhouse target for real estate investors. This is due to a number of contributing factors.

1. Strong school district performance

The Connetquot School District has always been a strong performer and considered one of the top 25 school districts on long island. However, education metrics are showing that the school district continues to improve showing significant advances. This will continue to be a strong point of attraction for buyers with school going children.

2. Suffolk County and Private Investment

While Bohemia preserves its quaintness as a small long island hamlet, new business locations are being developed regularly (e.g. LA Fitness opened a state-of-the-art gym just off gateway boulevard, Chase Bank has opened multiple new locations near or within Bohemia, a new Target is rumored, and trendy yogurt spots like Sweet Frog are making Bohemia its home). The limited inventory of homes in Bohemia due to its size will drive the price of homes upwards in this community.

Recently, Senator Chuck Schumer has currently pushed to convert nearby MacArthur Airport into an International Airport. This would be a tremendous boom for Bohemia home prices. First, tourists who will travel to Long Island for summer fun will look for short term summer rentals near the airport. This will bring real estate investors like myself to buy up Bohemia inventory. Also, with MacArthur receiving a face-lift and attracting new airlines, you can expect a significant increase in hiring. I expect that employees will look to move to nearby neighborhoods to make their commutes more manageable. They are sure to look at neighboring communities with strong school districts such as Bohemia. For more information about the MacArthur Airport project, watch this news clip from Money & Mainstreet's Giovanna Drpic - http://fios1news.com/longisland/node/35591

3. Commute Convenience and Shopping

Bohemia is within 5-10 minute drive of 2 separate LIRR train stations. First, the Ronkonkoma Train Station is a major LIRR hub with regular train service. Second, the Sayville Train Station offers convenient parking and accessible train service. Centrally located, Bohemia has quick access to Sunrise Highway and Southern State Parkway to the south and the LIE to the North.

Nearby main street in Sayville provides seasonal festivities, great village style shops, cafes, and outstanding restaurants such as the Lake House (top-rated on Zagat) and Sweet Mandarin.

4. The Bottom Line

Long Island has many well-established neighborhoods. You cannot go wrong with Garden City, Cold Spring Harbor, Old Westbury, and Roslyn as these towns are entrenched as some of the most affluent neighborhoods on Long Island, but you will pay millions of dollars for a home in well-established market. Remember, the homes in these communities were not always pricing in the millions. I see Bohemia booming and becoming one of the most-sought after communities for home buyers within the next 5 to 10 years.
Maria, I am very curious because it is about 2 1/2 years since you first posted this. Where did you decide to buy? Too bad this question isn't current. There are a lot more homes in that price range than there used to be.
Dear Maria,

What do you mean by "BEST"? There are many great neighborhoods on Long Island easily accessible to the LIRR (5-15 mins) by car. Do not count on the bus system here, it stinks! My advice to you is come out here a couple times and drive around the neighborhoods, eat at the local diners, visit the shops, check out the parks/beaches, and by all means buy a local newspaper and read the crime (or lack of crime) reports. You can get a good feel for a neighborhood that way. Be certain to read the NYS School Report Cards, check out the average price for real estate tax (although taxes can vary greatly even within a neighborhood), and visit as many open houses that you can. One last thing, do not discount Suffolk County because the commute into the city is a little longer. You can always drive to a train station with a quicker route. The houses are more afforable, with typically less crime, pollution, and traffic. Enjoy your neighbor hunt!- Nikki
Hi Maria, Unfortunately as Licensed Agents in NY we are not allowed to give you specfic information on neighborhoods or schools on Long Island. However, we can enroll you in our private home buyers website where you can decide what neighborhoods would be good for you. We can give you the addresses and you can map how far the neighborhoods are to the LIRR. Long Island is a great place to live and there are many opportunities available. Give us a call and we will be happy to help you with your home search 631-240-1224
I grew up and work as a Real Estate agent in Oceanside and there are some great values here. If you look in the "Ocean-Lea" section of Oceanside you may find what you are looking for. The area is made up of mainly 3 bedroom 2 bath split level homes, 1700 to 2000 square ft. of living space, taxes are between 8-10K.

At it peak (2005-2007) an original split (no updates, built in the 50's) was selling between 500 and 550k. You can now get into this beautiful section of Oceanside in the low to mid 400's. You can walk to the LIRR train station, have great shopping nearby, and live in a quiet tree lined neighborhood.

As for the future, if I had a crystal ball, I wouldn't be doing this (I'd be at the track). The market on Long Island has started to adjust itself down by around 10-25%

It is a true buyers market, so take your time. Find an agent you feel comfortable in and start looking. If you wish to communicate w me further e/m me at Reillyerik@aol.com or call my office 516-764-6200 from 9am to 9 pm.

Good luck in your search, it would be my pleasure if I could help you.

Erik Reilly
Century 21 Mac Levitt
Oceanside Office
516-764-6200
Web Reference: http://www.c21maclevitt.com
Maria,

I have access to several home listings which are walking distance to the L.I.R.R., in the Albertson, Williston Park and Mineola area's

Check the following link for Newsday.com : http://www.newsday.com/classified/realestate/

It has a community profile section, top school district and L.I.R.R. commute info for all Long Island areas.

Good luck to you and contact me if I can be of any service.

Steve
My personal opinion is too get the best best school district even if that means I live in a worst house.

I live in lynbrook school district and that is very very good. Also Oceanside is good and Hewlett-woodmere school district is good too. I would live in Rockville centre, too.

Valley Stream is okay too.

Garden City is great,

You need to look at the schools ranked. Greatschools.net
hi I am selling a house in Bellmore for $420,000 it is a few blocks from the Lirr it has equity in it. call me at 917-312-7500 Erica Andre Thank you have a nice day hope to hear from you soon.
Hi Maria, when you decide the neighborhood and specifications of what you are searching for, please let me know and I can send you emails with pictures and detail information of the homes available in Long Island.

Good Luck

Henry

http://www.CasasEnQueens.com
By LAW it is illegal for Realtors to comment on neighborhoods and school districts. We can provide you with a source of inquiry, but cannot tell you what is the best neighborhood.

Although some LIRR lines are closer to the city, originating lines further out, i.e., Huntington, has express trains morning and eveninng that take under an hour.

Perhaps you should go to http://NewYorkTransit.com and look at their schedules for the reailroad.

If you go to my website, http://GailGladstone.com, you will find sources of community and school information.

After you isolate an area of interest, I would be happy to assist you in finding a home. If you write to me offline at Gail@GailGladstone.com, Ii would be happy to set you up with a free account connected to the MLS to take a look at what is on the market in various locations.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
Hi Maria, Being that it is a buyer's market today and prices appear to be going down alittle more...now is definitely the time to buy.Being on Long Island you have numerous nice areas near the L.I.R.R.which will get you into the city anywhere from 30 minutes plus. Don't wait too long ....what came down will go up !!
Feel free to e-mail or call me if you would like to work with me.516-835-5704 or czaro@optonline.net Good Luck !! Corinne
Web Reference: http://www.corinnezarou.com
Maria, You have so many choices in today's Long Island real estate market that it is impossible to easily answer your question. What's great though is that w/your budget you have lots of choices of communities near a LIRR line and within 30 to 60 minutes a in commute. If you'd like, call me at 631.338.7392 so I can help you take next steps in your search. Gerry