Home Buying in Noe Valley>Question Details

Jaime, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Bernal Heights vs. Noe Valley for a starter home/place to raise a family?

Asked by Jaime, San Francisco, CA Tue Jul 31, 2007

Answers

3
I have to second Mary's input on Bernal and Noe. The other benefit of Bernal is you might get a smidge more sunshine than Noe. And depending on where you buy, you may get some fabulous views. One other thing aboug Bernal is the streets, they are narrower with shorter sidewalks and it's a bit more hilly. If you spend time in Bernal make sure you walk around Cortland. For Noe it's 24th Street. These shopping areas can also give you a sense of what else the area has to offer.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 9, 2007
Both have positives, it all depends on your priorities. Noe Valley is stroller-heaven; moms and babies
crowd the sidewalks and they tend to be fairly well off and less culturally diverse than residents of Bernal
Heights. Bernal Heights is a bit less expensive (though it has been "discovered" in the last few years and is not the relative bargain it used to be), a bit less "safe" and a bit more diverse.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 31, 2007
Hi Jaime. Both Noe Valley and Bernal Heights are excellent places to raise a family, but when you say "starter home" I have to give it to Bernal Heights based on price point alone. The average sales price in Bernal Heights is currently $821,894 compared to a much higher average of $1,367,052 in Noe Valley. They are both very family oriented neighborhoods with their own parks, libraries, schools, and commercial strips with cafes, restaurants, stores, etc. I would spend a bit of time in both neighborhoods if I were you; take walks and get to know the neighborhoods. I think how you feel in any spot is most important.